Tuesday 31 March 2020

Adding interfacing to your cross stitch


As you know I have recently discovered a new hobby and have ventured into the world of using a sewing machine.  My first love of the sharp side, as my friend likes to call it, has always been cross stitch and a few weeks ago she helped me turn my Let's Sew Cushion from a cross stitch into a cushion. Cross stitch fabric, whatever type you use, is not really robust enough to turn into a cushion or other project unless you add interfacing to it to  strengthen and protect it.

I am now venturing into more projects of my own and when I spotted this little character as you may all recognise as Beatrice Potters The Tailor of Gloucester I knew he had to turn into something both cross stitch and machine sewing project related.




He didn't take too long to complete and by the time he was finished I knew what sort of project I wanted to make with him and that will be revealed later. 

So back to adding interfacing to my cross stitch.  I remember my mum using interfacing to give a bit of umph as she called to collars and cuffs or to costumes she would make for our ballet costumes to make it more robust.  

With my cross stitches it is to add more stiffness to the fabric you have used and also to protect the back of your cross stitch keeping all your stitches in place. 

I always wash my cross stitches once they are complete. It doesn't matter how careful you are when stitching them you will always get the natural oils from your hands onto the fabric and it will over time discolour and show on your lovely project that you have taken hours to produce.

So before you add your interfacing you need to make sure that all the little threads are sewn in at the back or trimmed as close to picture as possible as once you have ironed the interfacing in place you won't be able to adjust any little stray threads. I am not the neatest of sewers when it comes to the back. There are those that you wouldn't know the back from the front but I am not one of those. This is relatively neat for me. 

I have learned that there is interfacing which you can sew into a project and there is interfacing which you can iron onto a project.
 I have also learned that there is a smooth side and a rough side
. The rough side is the glue side and the smooth side is the side that faces your iron.
and that you can buy it in pre cut metres or off the roll.
I have also learned that when you are ironing your interfacing onto your project that some of the glue can escape either onto your ironing board or onto your iron and is a devils own job to get off.
So my friend has told me to always have a linen or cotton tea towel in your project box that you use to lie on your ironing board to protect it.





Now comes the clever bit. My friend  told me to look out for one of these packs of cooking liners. You can find them in the £1 shops or other bargain basement shops and of course good old amazon. 

She uses these to lie o top of a project she is adding iron on interfacing to so that should there be any leakage of glue it doesn't go on to your iron which will of cost a lot more to replace than a cooking liner and of course they can take the heat of your iron.  







So when you are ready and you have your 
tea towel on the ironing board to protect it
and you have given your cross stitch a last pressing to make sure there are no creases anywhere,
and you have made sure that all the little threads are either tucked in or trimmed
then you can cut the interfacing to the size of your project.
and with glue side facing down onto your project you are good to go.




Cover the whole thing with your cooking liner and you're ready to press with your iron. You may have to go over it a few times to make sure that the glue of the interfacing has adhered to your project. You can do this by just checking at the edges rather than removing the sheet and having to place it. back again
and like magic its all done and you are ready to make into whatever project you had in mind. 




The Tailor of Gloucester has become the central piece of a pin cushion and thread catcher and he will sit next to me whenever I am using my sewing machine and do you know something I am just a little teeny weeny bit proud of myself for achieving this all by myself.  May be I will write a post about making a pin cushion/cotton catcher.  Those experienced sewers out there will probably know all too well how to put one together but there might just be someone out there who would like to know, and if I'm honest I like to keep a record of what I've done and how so that should I want to make another at some stage I have a library of my how to's that I can refer to.

The year 2020 has not quite started as any of us probably envisaged that it would. Corvid 19 continues reap havoc across the world. I hope you are all finding things to keep you occupied if you are in lock down. We have now survived our first week and heading into the second.  Our front line staff and keyworkers, of which I am one continue to go to work each day and find ourselves living in a very surreal time. I wonder where this will all come to an end and where we will all be in another 12 months time.  

Till then please stay safe and if you can stay home. 

Mx





16 comments:

  1. I'm able to see but it is knitting and crochet I struggle with. I'm giving crochet another try, starting with Attic 24's ripple blanket. I'm doing it all in one colour (cream) as that's what I need for my living room but I love the ripple pattern so will give it a go. I've had a text to say the wool will be delivered today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should say ... I'm able to sew!

      Delete
    2. I hope your wool arrived. I know its not necessarily an essential item but it will be what gets us through the next few weeks I think. I have several projects on the go but that's not unusual for me. I am trying to space out what I do so that I have plenty to keep me busy. Lucy's patterns are always very clear so I'm sure you will be able to follow her instructions it will be lovely to see your blanket I think it will look lovely in a solid colour.

      Mx

      Delete
  2. Sewing is not a strong point, rather sewing with a machine is not at strong point, happy to wield a needle by hand to make costumes, fancy dress etc. your friend is full of clever ideas 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still get moments when something isn't going right that I could just pack everything away and if I don't think I am in the right mood I won't even take the cover off. The little bits and bobs that I am achieving I am very happy with and I just have to treat every day as a school day and learn from my mistakes. If its a particular project I want to do may be as a gift then I make a mock up one and write down what I've done right and what I didn't get right so I don't make the same mistake again. I don't think I am at the stage where I could make anything to wear but that's not a problem seen as we can't go anywhere anyway.

      Mx

      Delete
  3. Oh what a beautiful thing you've made! You should be very proud of yourself, it's so cute, and practical, and you did it all by yourself. Congratulations :) Also, the liner sheet trick is very clever, I'll keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin. Everyday is a school day isn't it. It always amazes me when you get talking to people not matter what their craft everyone of us has a little tip or two that we can share and when I get to learn about something that is going to help others I love to share.

      Mx

      Delete
  4. ADORABLE cross stichery xx and great top tip about the cooking liner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel I hope you and your family are all keeping well.

      Mx

      Delete
    2. We are all well - I don't know if you took down yesterday's post or it's a blogger glitch but the NHS mask post does not exist!

      Delete
    3. Will have a look at that thanks Rachel.

      Mx

      Delete
    4. I also can't see your scones post x

      Delete
  5. As an experienced sewer I still get glue on my iron but I love your friends tip and always know there are new things to find out in the world of sewing. Your cross stitch is beautiful. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo. Coming from you that's a lovely compliment to know that I can share a tip with you. Every day's a school day.

      Mx

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. He is isn't he and I can tell you that little pocket has been full to bursting over the last couple of weeks whilst I have been making the scrubs bags. I'm so glad I made this cotton catcher/pin cushion as its proved invaluable.

      Mx

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...