Tuesday 3 July 2018

Crew Neck Baby Cardigan (newborn, 0- 3 months) in DK



My son and his partner are now over the half way stage of their pregnancy and due to have their 20 week scan. There has been much debate as to whether they should find out the gender of the baby and they are still split on this decision but I'm sure they will have resolution by the time they are having the scan.  My son would like to know and his partner doesn't want to know. For the time being I am still making everything in neutral colours.  They love the colour of the Waffles & Ice Cream blanket and of the Bootees, Mitten & Hat set so I thought I would carry on and make a little cardigan to match. This is the same pattern that was passed down to me from my mother and grandmother and is the same pattern I used to make for my own children. From this basic pattern you could then go onto adjust to make other patterns and colour combinations as you went along. I've had these little buttons sat in my button box for years and I think they go just right and finish the little cardigan off a treat.

If you would like to have ago at making this little cardigan then this is how you do it. Just as with the Bootees, Mittens & Hat set you will need needle size 2.75mm and 3.25mm for a new born size or  3.75mm and 4mm for 0-3 months, a darning needle (wool needle) and to finish off five buttons.

The yarn I have used is Stylecraft Special DK in Parchment and Cream, but it will work in any double knitting yarn and you will need 100g of your main colour plus approximately 50g of a contrast colour.

Back

Using the contrast colour and the smaller needles cast on 54 stitches and working in 2 x 2 rib work 10 rows

Change to larger needles and main colour and work approximately 30 rows or until piece measures 12 cm in stocking stitch (one row knit one row purl)

Shape armholes

Continuing in stocking stitch and cast off 3 stitches at the beginning of next two rows.

Decrease 1 stitch at each end of the next and every alternate row until 44 stitches remain.

Continuing in stocking stitch, without any further decreasing, work a further 27 rows.

Shape shoulders

Cast off 6 stitches at the beginning of the next 2 rows, then 5 stitches at the beginning of the next two rows. Now leave the remaining 22 stitches on a stitch holder or spare needle.

Left Front


Using the contrast colour and smaller needles cast on 26 stitches and work 10 rows in 2 x 2 rib as for the back.

Change to larger needles and your main colour and work the same number of rows as worked for the back in stocking stitch up to the armhole shaping. With the right side facing cast off 3 stitches at the beginning of the next row and then work 1 row.

Decrease 1 stitch at the armhole edge only  (knit two together) on the next and every alternate row until 21 stitches remain. Work a further 16 rows in stocking stitch so that you have the wrong side facing for your next row.

Shape Neck

Cast off 6 stitches at the beginning of the next row.

Decrease 1 stitch at the neck edge only on the next and every alternate row until 11 stitches remain. Work 3 rows without any further decreasing, you will now have the right side facing for your next row.

Shape shoulder

Cast off 6 stitches at he beginning of the next row. Work 1 row. Cast off the remaining 5 stitches.

Right Front

Work as for the left front reversing the shaping and working an extra row at the armhole and shoulder shaping.

Sleeves x 2

With smaller needles and contrast colour cast on 30 stitches and work 9 rows of 2 x 2 rib.

Increase row - rib 7 M1 (by picking up the horizontal loop lying before the next stitch and working into the back of it) rib 7 M1 until you have 34 stitches and rib to the end.

Change to larger needles and main colour work in stocking stitch increasing 1 stitch at each end of the 3rd and every following 6th row until you have 44 stitches. Now work approx 7 rows or until your sleeve measures 11cm.

Shape the armhole

With the right side facing cast off 3 stitches at the beginning of the next two rows.  Now continue decreasing 1 stitch at each of end of the next and every alternate row until you have 22 stitches, then on every row until 8 stitches remain. Cast off the remaining 8 stitches.


Button Border (Right for a boy or left for a girl) if gender not known I tend to put the buttons on the left.

With smaller needles and contrast colour cast on 8 stitches and work 56 rows of 2 x 2 rib so that when slightly stretched fits along the front of your cardigan. Leave the 8 stitches on a safety pin ready for the neck and break the yarn.

Buttonhole Border (left for a boy or right for a girl) if gender not known I tend to put the buttonhole on the right.

With smaller needles and contrast colour cast on 8 stitches and work 4 rows of 2 x 2 rib.

Next row (buttonhole row) rib 4 yon (yarn over the needle) and knit 2 together and rib to the end.

Work 13 rows of 2 x 2 rib

repeat the last 14 rows twice more then repeat the buttonhole row again. You will now have 4 buttonholes in total.

work a further 9 rows and leave stitches on a safety pin but do not break the yarn.

To make up

Block so that your pieces are flat when joining.

Join the shoulder seams

Join side and sleeve seams. Insert sleeves.

Sew borders in position.

Neck Border

With right side facing and smaller needle and contrast, rib across the 8 stitches from right border, pick up and knit 20 stitches from right side of neck, 22 stitches from the back (left on stitch holder), pick up and knit 20 stitches from left side of neck and 8 stitches from left border. (78 stitches)

starting with 2 purl work in 2 x 2 rib for 7 rows adding a buttonhole as before in the 4th row.  Now cast off loosely in rib.

And there you have it a lovely little crew neck cardigan to make whether it be for a family member, close friend or work colleague and of course you can make it in a solid colour of whatever colour combination you so choose.

Enjoy

Mx






24 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous, and before you know it there will be a little person wearing it. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've known since they were 4-5 weeks so I can't believe we are already at 20 weeks. They live 2 hours away from me so I send them photographs of what I make or what I am thinking of making as there isn't any point making something that will never go near the child. So far they have loved everything and as my son is the pickiest person I know I take that as a great compliment.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  2. Lovely.... I love neutral colors, on babies....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do too they are very warm colours aren’t they

      Mitzi

      Delete
  3. Love the waffley blanket.
    I think it's so lovely that this pattern has been passed down through the generations.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was with them this weekend and they love the colours which is just as well. I'm keeping a hold of anything I make for the time being until their baby shower as she doesn't want anything in the house too early which I can understand.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous! I wonder who will win the scan debate - maybe it will be like the episode of 'Friends' where one will know but not the other! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has ended up one knowing and not the other but not sure how long he will be able to keep it quiet.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  5. Looks so lovely, great colour combination.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you they seem to be the very in colours at the moment which is just as well as I love them.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful little set and such an exciting time. Our first grandchild is coming up to his first birthday in August, I love the bones of that little man xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live a 2 hour drive from them so her mum will be hands on grandma and I will be the grandma that makes things. At least these days we have facetime and skype and much easier to send photographs in this digital age which is lovely.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  7. I love the waffle blanket! I also had a cardigan that I made over and over, varying the buttons and stitch. I think I would like to know whether my baby was a 'pink one' or a 'blue one', not that we had a choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only knew with my youngest as I had an amneosenthesis. The scans are also so much clearer than when I had my older 3 and in those days they wouldn’t tell you what you were having.


      Mitzi x

      Delete
  8. Would love to make the whole set hat and blanket cardie and boots

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a beautiful set! I can't wait to get started. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am knitting this pattern n am on right front. Can u tell me when to add extra rows on armhole n shoulder shaping bit plz. Thanx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am knitting this pattern n am on right front. Can u tell me when to add extra rows on armhole n shoulder shaping bit plz. Thanx

    ReplyDelete
  12. can you tell me how many inches is 25 rows on back im afraid it will be too long i finished arm holes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sleeves say to work approximately 7 rows after 44 sts. left and should measure 11 cm. Is that correct? Mine is more than 11 cm

      Delete
  13. This pattern has some issues I tried knitting it and had to unpick it and start again with a different pattern. I hope you have better luck with it than I had

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I've knitted the cardigan as a learner. I was wondering if you have the mitts, bootees and hat pattern too, if possible please

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this i am waiting for a great granddaughter in March so I am making it at the moment thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you have a video of this pattern as I have never done a cardigan?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...