Saturday 2 June 2018

Bootees, Mittens & Hat (newborn-3 months) in DK


Well its been a while since I last made one of these little sets.  This was one of the first things I was taught to knit as a child, I suppose because they were small items with a little bit of technical know how required but something we wouldn't get bored with too quickly and quite frankly fifty years ago there was always someone in the family or the wider circle of friends that were having babies, that and the school fete and local church bizarre who required small items for sale. My mother and grandmother rarely worked from a pattern everything was tucked away inside their heads ready to be bought to the forefront when the next expected baby was announced. In those days you didn't have a baby shower like they do now you were made a layette set which always from memory consisted of a blanket and or shawl, bootees, mittens and hats and two or three little cardigans oh and a little knitted teddy all presented in a little box or basket.  It's funny that even after all these years that these patterns have stayed lodged in my ageing brain too so I thought it was about time I started writing them down, I suppose it's no different to all the recipes we store in there we don't all turn to a recipe book to know how to make a shepherds pie.

This little set is made with Stylecraft Special DK in cream for the main colour and parchment as the contrast.

If you fancy having ago you can of course use whatever colour you fancy the bootees and mittens take about 50g of each colour so great for leftovers from your stash, but if you're making the hat as well to complete the set then you will need 100g of the main colour and 50g of your contrast colour, you may of course wish to make in a single colour then you will need 100g to make the set. You will need needle size 2.75mm and 3.25mm for a newborn or 3.75mm and 4mm for 0-3 month size.  Or as my mum would have said size 12 and size 10 or size 9 and 8.  The set in the picture is for a newborn.

Where to start??

Bootees 

With the smaller needle and your contrast colour cast on 30 stitches and starting with purl work in 2 x 2 rib for 30 rows increasing one stitch at the end of the last row.

Change to your larger needle and main colour and working in stocking stitch (one row knit one row purl) starting with knit work two rows.

Shaping the instep 

1st row - knit
2nd row - purl 21 and  turn
3rd row - knit 11 and turn

working on these 11 stitches only work 7 rows in stocking stitch

Decrease rows

11th row - k2togtbl (knit 2 together through back of loop) knit to the last 2 stitches K2tog (knit 2 together) (9 stitches)

12th row - purl
13th row - K2togtbl, knit to the last 2 stitches K2tog (7 stitches)
14th row  - purl

you now have 7 stitches.
Break off the yarn

With the wrong side facing rejoin to the 10 stitches on the left hand needle and purl to the end.

pick up & knit 10 stitches along right side of the instep


Next row - K10 and now pick up  and knit 10 stitches along the right side of the instep, knit across the 7 stitches and then pick up and knit 10 stitches along the left side of the instep and then across the remaining 10 stitches (47 stitches in total).

47 stitches in total 

Starting with a purl row work 5 rows more in stocking stitch.

Shape foot

1st row - K1, S1 (slip 1), K1,  PSSO (pass the slip stitch over), K16, K2tog, K5, K2tog, K16, K2tog, K1
(43 stitches)
2nd row knit
3rd row - K1, S1,  K1, PSSO, K15, K2tog, K3, K2tog, K15, K2tog, K1 (39)
4th row knit
5th row - K1, S1. K1, PSSO. K14, K2tog, K1, K2tog, K14, K2tog, K1 (35)
6th row knit
7th row - K1, S1, K1, PSSO, K13, S1, K2tog, PSSO, K13, K2tog, K1 (31 stitches)
8th row - Knit
Cast off

To make up join the foot and back seam reversing when you get to the rib and join on the right side so that you can't see the seam once you have turned the top down. Now you just have to make a second to make a pair.

Mittens

Using your smaller needles and contrast colour cast on 26 stitches and starting with a purl stitch work 2 x 2 rib for 30 rows., increasing one stitch at the end of the last row.(27 stitches)

Change to your larger needles and main colour and continue in stocking stitch (one row knit one row purl) and work 12 rows.

Shape the top

1st row - K2togtbl (K2 together through back of loop), K9, K2tog (knit 2 together), K1, K2togtbl, K9, K2tog (23 stitches)
2nd row - purl
3rd row - K2togtbl, K7, K2tog, K1, K2togtbl, K7, K2tog (19 stitches)
4th row - purl
5th row - K2togtbl, K5, K2tog, K1, K2togtbl, K5, K2tog (15 stitches)
6th row - purl

cast off .

To make up join your rib on the right side for turn down and on the reverse for you top and side seam of your mitten and now  make your second to complete your pair.


Hat

For your hat you can if you have a 40cm circular needle in the required sizes or on 4 dpns make your hat without a back seam if you choose to use a circular needle you may need to swap to dpns when shaping the crown if it becomes too tight to carryout the decrease rows.

With your smaller needle and contrast colour cast on 84 stitches and starting with a purl work 2 x 2 rib for 30 rows increasing one stitch at the end of the last row  (or round if using circular needles or dpns). (85 stitches)

Now change to larger needles and main colour and continue in stocking stitch (one row knit one row purl unless using circular needle or dpn where you will knit only) until your work measures 17cms.

Shape the crown

1st row - K4, k2tog (knit 2 together) 14 times, K1 (71 stitches)
2nd row - purl (or work another round without decreasing)
3rd row - K3, K2tog, 14 times, K1 (57 stitches)
4th row - purl (or work another round without decreasing)
5th row - K2, K2tog, 14 times, K1 (43 stitches)
6th row - purl (or work another round without decreasing)
7th row - K1, K2tog, 14 times, K1 (29 stitches)
8th row - purl (or work another round without decreasing)
9th row - K2tog, 14 times, K1 (15 stitches)

Break off the yarn and run through the remaining stitches and draw up and fasten off.


and there you have it my little bootees, mitten and hat set should you wish to have ago.

Mx

24 comments:

  1. Your colour choices are wonderful. Unfortunately I am strictly a 'Scarves only' type of knitter, which would horrify my mother because she was brilliant, she could talk and still knit complicated patterns at the same time. If you ever fancy trying your hand at a very old patterns from around the 1850's - I have a handwritten book which contains lots of them. I wrote a post about it at https://flissandmax.blogspot.com/2017/03/looking-for-very-special-knitter.html I'd be very happy to let you have any you fancied. Of course I don't know what they look like, or whether they knit up properly. No one got back to me about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What size needles in US sizes

      Delete
  2. Oh so precious!!!!!!

    Yes, you probably should write them down. :-)

    In this techy age, people just don't use their memories, they way they used to. Since children have learned, from the first, that all things can be 'looked up' on a computer of some sort, their memories just don't get used. And like everything else, if something isn't used, it doesn't become strong.


    A 'Nana' in the upper North East of the US

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely a believer of if you don't use it you loose it and I'm finding that gets worse the older I get hence starting to write things down.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  3. Oh Elaine what a find I've been over to your blog and had a look. Such beautiful writing and such a wonderful treasure. When I was having my eldest son who is now 30 I sat down with my mother and wrote down all the patterns she had taught us when we were kids little hats, mittens, bootees and cardigans and I'm so glad I did now. By this point she had terrible rheumatoid arthritis and could no longer knit or sew. She endeavored to crochet a blanket for my son which took her the best part of two years which she finished just before she died. I will keep your patterns in mind for the future and thank you for offering to share.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so cute! Sadly, I don't know of anyone who might be able to use any in the near future, although I will keep a note of these patterns just in case. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did cull my patterns a number of years ago and then found out I was having my youngest. I did keep some of my favourites and obviously those my mum had taught me. I didn't expect to be needing them just yet but very pleased to be.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  5. So cute. This is going to be one well dressed baby! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve waited a long time and as other gradma doesn’t knit or crochet I get to make as much as I like haha x

      Delete
  6. I feel I am now lagging behind in the creating stakes! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No not at all I've been on annual leave and been catching up and trying to finish things off. I always have something on the go otherwise I wait three weeks to watch a program on the TV and only get to see the start and the end completing missing the middle because I've fallen a sleep. I work on the theory that if I keep my hands and brain busy there is more of a chance of me staying a wake long enough to watch the whole thing works 99% of the time. When is your grand child due? From what I have seen of your crocheting I'm sure there will be a few lovely blankets for your daughter to wrap her little bundle in.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  7. They are so cute and I'm sure you can whip them up in no time. Oldest GD is getting married in October and they have said they want to have kids so no time like the present to start knitting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely a wedding and may be a new baby before too long x

      Delete
  8. The baby set is lovely. I like the colour combination. It must be satisfying to be able to knit such fine items especially when there's a personal happy event happening soon. Nothing doing here as our youngest grandchild is fifteen and the oldest grandsons are still unmarried! One day perhaps?...I do like looking at children's and baby clothes especially when they've been hand made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did ask them before getting started. I didn't think there was much point in putting together lots of knitted and crochet items if they were never going to be used, but luckily for me they would like hand knitted items and definitely crochet blankets too and as other grandma doesn't do either I get to make as much as I like without treading anyone elses toes so its a win win for me. Other grandma will be the hands on grandma as she lives locally to them where as I live 2 hours away so it will definitely have to be a quality not quantity set up for me but these days with facetime and skype I'm sure I'll get to have plenty of virtual cuddles.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  9. Handmade baby layette.....lovely memories of a time gone by. I hand knitted for my children until the youngest, then about seven years old, asked for PROPER school cardigans!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boys wore hand knits until they were about 5 or 6 my daughter into her teenage years and they all have crochet throws in fact they have more than I do as they tend to be things I make as a gift but I could really do with a couple of throws for the sofa's in the living room so that is also on my to do list which grows by the day.

      Having been reading your blog posts this morning Eloise and have added you to my follow list.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  10. Hi. Thank you for sharing your lovely patterns. I love that the sweater is a family pattern and that there is also the hat mittens and booties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you its nice to be able to share something that means so much.

      Mitzi x

      Delete
  11. Love this set. Thank you for sharing it. Have used it quite a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad you've been able to put to good use and hope you to visit my little blog space again sometime.

      Mitzi x

      Delete
  12. I am a little stuck. I finished the instep but am confused by your comment to break the yarn. Then rejoin stitches on left needle and purl to end. I have only knit hats and scarfs so could really use some help!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just knitted this set up for a baby shower and they love it ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is the 17cm from the cast on edge or 5he different color change. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...