Wednesday 24 October 2018

Hat & Scarf set {Adult}




Firstly I would just like to thank all of you who left such lovely comments on my previous post about our little grandson.   He's had a slight cold this week so has not been his usual self as this also meant he earned himself a few days back in his little incubator. 

The photograph above shows the scarf and hat sets that I made for three members of the family last year and as it turned out with the winter that we had with so much snow and ice they were much needed.

Now that Autumn is in full swing I usually start and turn my attention to any Christmas makes. Yes I did mention the dreaded c word - sorry.  This year seems to have flown by and I've really not turned my attention to much other than to making some very tiny items for a very tiny young man. I suddenly realised this morning that it is in fact only 62 days until Christmas or just shy of 9 weeks if that makes you feel better.


It was a few years ago now that a boyfriend of my daughters requested a knitted scarf for Christmas.   Now my daughter can knit but very, very slowly.  She didn't say she wouldn't do it but did enquire as to which Christmas he would in fact like the scarf. The task was then passed over to me and a scarf duly made and he was very pleased with it.  Since then the boyfriend has changed but thankfully not the appreciation of something hand knitted and all the many hours that entails.

I know some of you have been thinking of making up hats and scarves for the homeless and these sets are easy to make and quick to knit up too. Each scarf took approximately 250g of wool and the hat took just under 100g. 


Working abbreviation
Meaning
alt
alternate
cont
continue
dec
decrease(ing)
foll
following
inc
increase(ing)
k
knit
0
no stitches or times
p
purl
psso
pass slipped stitch over
rem
remain(ing)
rep
repeat
rs
right side
s1
slip 1 stitch knitways
sts
stitch(es)
tbl
through back of loop
tog
together
ws
wrong side
yfwd
Yarn forward
yrn
yarn round needle
cm
centimetres
mm
millimmetres
in
inch(es)
Equipment

1 x 40cm circular needle size 3.75mm
1 x 40cm circular needle size 4.00mm
1 x 9cm circular needle or 1 x set of 4mm DPN's


The scarf is worked over 70 stitches in 2 x 2 rib (K2, P2) until it measures 145 cm or 58 inches when completed using a 4mm needle.
The hat is 160 stitches for an adult female and 168 for an adult male working in 2 x 2 rib  (K2, P2)throughout on a 40cm circular needle or DPN’s so that you don't have to join the seam down the back..  The first 10cm are worked on a 3.75 mm then change to a 4mm and continue working 2 x 2 rib until  22cm has been worked or required length and then shape the crown as follows:
Shape crown

  1st rnd:    K2tog, P2,K2,P2 (20:21 times)
 2nd rnd:    K1,P2,K2 P2 (20:21 times)
  3rd rnd:    K2tog, K3, P2 (20:21 times)
  4th rnd:    K4, P2 (20:21 times)
  5th rnd:    K2tog, K2, P2 (20:21 times)
  6th rnd:    K3, P2 (20:21 times)
  7th rnd:    K2tog, K1, P2 (20:21 times)
  8th rnd:    K2, P2 (20:21 times)
  9th rnd:    K2tog, P2 (20:21 times)
10th rnd:    K1, P2 (20:21 times)
11th rnd:    K2tog, P1 (20:21 times)
12th rnd:    K1, P1 (20:21 times)
13th rnd:    K2tog (20:21 times) 

You should have 20:21 stitches remaining break off the yarn, run the yarn through the remaining stitches and draw up and fasten off.
Break yarn, run yarn through rem sts, draw up and fasten off.

As these sets were for gifts the Yarn I used was 100% wool but if you are making for one of the homeless charities a good quality acrylic wool of double knit weight would equally do the job and is great for using up oddments from your stash if you want to go all creative and use more than one colour. 

Whether you are thinking of  making as a gift or for charity I am sure they would be very much appreciated by the recipient I know mine were.  


Happy knitting

Mx


16 comments:

  1. I hope Freddie's on the mend again now. I do like the hat and scarf sets, they make a lovely gift set for men or women. I'm not making any gifts this year, well, perhaps a pair of socks for my dad, but that will be it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With so many things happening over the last 10 months I am not very organised at all. I only just got my Yarndale socks completed and sent off to Christine albeit a bit late, but they were still hung on the sock line.

      I'm not sure if anyone else in the family needs another set this year so I may just make myself a set. I seem to make lots of things for other people but very rarely for myself but I'm going to change that next year having realised just how many patterns I have and not one of them made up for me.

      Freddie seems to be a little better we're off to see him tomorrow so I'm hoping he may be back out of his incubator if only for a while so I can get a proper hold of him if not I will just have to wait.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for that pattern, I had one like it years ago and lost it. Desperate to have a simple knit I can take to new (to me) Stitch and Sip Group. This will fit the bill perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic. It's definitely one you can do whilst sitting and watching the tv or use as a knitting project on the go and therefore perfect for taking to your knit and sip group.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  3. I hope this is only a slight setback for little Freddie and he is soon out of the incubator once more.
    The hat pattern is great. I might just make myself one in time for the colder weather. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope so. I’m going to see them tomorrow and hopefully be a little better. I’m with you Jules as for all the sets i’ve made i’ve not made one for myself so I might just do that before the cold weather comes.

      Mitzi x

      Delete
  4. I need a new hat, and I think your pattern will fit the bill nicely - thank you. I hope Freddie is better very soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veggiemummy we are gaining to see him to,Oreos so hopefully he will be. Glad you like the pattern and hope you make one soon x

      Delete
  5. I do hope that Freddie's on the mend again now...sending my good wishes.

    Knitted hats, gloves, scarves etc. are always well received by all.

    Our youngest grand-daughter loves wearing them during winter months :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan. I got to have grandma cuddles yesterday and it was lovely.

      Mitzi x

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best wishes to Freddie, hope he's feeling better soon. Thank you for the patterns. (Corrected typo)

      Delete
  7. Hope little Freddie is soon on the mend. Thank you for the patterns...I really should be knitting...only 62 days you say...my! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Only aspire to mention ones content can be as incredible. This clarity with your post is superb and that i may think you’re a guru for this issue. High-quality along with your concur permit me to to seize your current give to keep modified by using approaching blog post. Thanks a lot hundreds of along with you should go on the pleasurable get the job done. 성인용품 사이트 추천

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...