Sunday 7 October 2018

Yarndale 2018

So Autumn is with us once more.  I have to say that Autumn is my favourite season with all its glorious deep colours for me there is just nothing like it.  With Autumn arriving it usually means there are those long awaited shows back on the TV. Bake Off and Strictly to name but two.  But most of all with Autumn arriving brings the countdown to another weekend of YARNDALE.....

As with last year myself and my companion finished work on Thursday lunchtime and normally we would head back to the farm house.



This year however we decided to call into  East Bridgeford Garden Centre  which has recently been refurbished and we had heard lots of nice things about it.There is a lovely gift area and food hall including a deli, bakery and butchers and of course a restaurant that has the most gorgeous looking cakes.



We were very restrained and settled for a cup of tea and a scone the size of a doorstop as we already had a table booked for a meal later in the evening, but we will certainly be back before Christmas for afternoon tea, well it would be rude not to.

Once back at the farm house we checked we have all the essentials.  Sweets for the journey. All the postcodes required for the sat nav to get us to our destination of choice. Wool sorted for the wool amnesty, well this tricks the bearded one into thinking I'm getting rid of some of my stash when in reality its only the leftovers from previous projects that isn't enough to create something else so it goes to the amnesty which is for a very good cause and in turn creates room, meaning I can then purchase yet more wool over the Yarndale weekend.  Reservation details for our hotel booking and of course the most essential item our tickets to Yarndale.



We treated ourselves to a meal out  to our local Brewers Fayre. They seem to cater for everyone no matter what your dietary requirements may be, even if we did confuse the poor waiter who thought we had snuffled the next tables deserts. Turned out the waitress who took our order had put the wrong table number on her docket.





Come the Friday morning we set off like Thelma & Louise off up the A1.  Last year we stopped off at Haworth where we had a lovely lunch at the  Apothecary Tea Rooms  and visited the Bronte museum and vicarage both of which were well worth a visit en route to Skipton.

This year we headed to Crimple Hall Antiques & Garden Centre wondering around the garden centre, gift area and the antiques before stopping for a light lunch.



We then headed on into Harrogate.  We didn't go into Bettys as before this picture was taken the queue was right around the corner and some.  May be another time just so we can say you have been.  We had a lovely afternoon of retail therapy and yes a couple of Christmas presents were purchased. 


We also discovered this hat shop that must be the biggest display of hats for all occasions that I have ever seen.


Tired and wiry we headed onto Skipton and booked into our hotel.  We chose to stay at the Rendezvous Hotel  again this year.  The staff are very accommodating, even putting us in exactly the same rooms as we had last year looking over the canal and always find us a table in their Baby Swan restaurant.   



Saturday morning arrived and we headed off to the auction mart parked the car and headed over to Kelham Farm Shop where we enjoyed a gorgeous breakfast and picked up one or two snacks for later in the day.



As in all the previous years the bunting was up its amazing that after six years of Yarndale it still looks fabulous as you walk into the hub.


The staff were there ready to help and answer any questions and all the previous years bags were there on sale together with note books and pens, pin badges and the new project bags.  No calendar unfortunately this year, which for me was a little disappointing as I usually have it on my office wall where I can see lovely yarny things all day whilst at my desk.


This years charity project was butterflies.  I have always contributed in previous years but I'm afraid my skills do not run to the making of one of these.  They did look splendid and there were some that had been made into broaches which you could purchase for a donation.


and I just have to show you this amazing display of poppies which were up in the hub this year and to hear people talking about what the poppies mean to them and their families.


We did of course pop along to see Lucy and Christine in the Knit & Knatter lounge and enjoyed a catch up with both these lovely ladies.


The knit & knatter lounge has had a face lift this year and the seating is a lot kinder on your derriere now. No need to bring a comfy cushion or to fold up your coat to sit on.


I did manage to find my socks on the sockline and whilst there managed to bump into a couple of my IG pals, which was lovely to say hi face to face, unfortunately I didn't take any photo's so that's a note to self for next year.


I did smile when I saw the board outside Coopers this year, I think it just about sums up Yarndale.  We didn't get a chance to call in this year but we did get to have the most gorgeous fish & chips at Bizzie Lizzies and will definitely be returning again in the future.



After a wonderful weekend we returned home my purse feeling a little lighter but with every penny well spent.



I bought these little stitch holders and I'm ashamed to say I cannot remember from which stall holder,  but I think they represent our little crafting community don't you. I heard so many different languages being spoken as we went around this year. It always amazes me that some will come far and wide just for a weekend or include a stop at Yarndale as part of their holiday.

Now here is an important bit of info.  Next year the UCI cycle race will be on at the same time as Yarndale and some hotels have been asked to block out any available rooms for those who are following the races across the week, so you if you are thinking of coming along next year you may want to start and think about your accommodation now.  B & B's don't seem to be too bad and there are plenty of cottages available,  we have managed to book into the Craven Heifer Hotel at Kelbrook. The race doesn't actually come through Skipton until the Sunday and then not until around lunchtime. By the sounds of it the Yarndale team have done their homework and apparently there will be rolling road closures on that day and should not therefore affect Yarndaler's getting in on the train and picking up the buses but I'm sure they will keep us all informed.



Well that is my Yarndale journey over for another year and we are already making plans for next years trip.



Mx

14 comments:

  1. You had a nice time there though I really wish I had visited betties when I was in Harrogate, I only walked past it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure we’ll try it next year as the cycling event goes through Harrogate all week Bill but one day we’ll get there but we’ll book a table in advance.

      Delete
  2. Lovely to read about yarndale. I follow attic 24 so have always fancied a trip up north but as I'm on the south coast it would be a long journey! Maybe one day...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always amazes me the distance folk travel to get to Yarndale including from abroad and make it part of a holiday. It really has taken off in the last five years and who knew writing a little blog could suddenly grow into something as exciting as Yarndale. I know Lucy doesn't organise it all herself and there are three or four others all involved and they put so much work into the weekend being a success. Sadly there are always those that will moan no matter what. If its not how long the queues are to get in its the amount of places to sit down. This year it was the porterloos and the fact that those people who had pre booked tickets got in an hour earlier than those who pay on the door. I don't care how well an event is organised someone will always find a reason to moan. Its a shame as they do try so hard to make it a success for everyone.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  3. I’d love to get myself organised and off to Yarndale, maybe next year, I’m just not sure that I should be bringing home anymore lovely yarn as my home is full of my hobbies already xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I have taken over a corner of our living room and I looked at it this morning and thought I really do need to sort that out as the amount I have sat there is getting bigger and considering I am always telling D off for leaving stuff around but every bit is part of a current work in progress so I feel its justified, well thats what I am going to tell myself....

      Mitzi

      Delete
  4. It's a bit too far for me to go, so I'm very envious. I'll just have to live vicariously through people's blogs! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh that's a shame. I live about 2 hours away so not too bad and we make a weekend of it as there's too much to see in one day and its nice to be able to go back to a stall if it's really busy. Is there anything similar local to you?

      Mitzi

      Delete
  5. I love how you make a weekend of your trip to Yarndale and pack so much in. I love Crimple Hall, we often pop in there on our way to RHS Harlow Carr as it isn't too far away, and Betty's too, it's a shame you didn't get to go in as it really is a treat, but you always have to allow plenty of time as there's always a queue, it doesn't matter which one you go to (there's Betty's at York, Ilkley, Northallerton and Harlow Carr too). I didn't go to Yarndale this year, I was umming and ahhing right to the very last minute but decided against. I really want to go to Nottingham Yarn Expo again in November, there's a lot of dyers exhibiting there that I'm interested in so I decided against going to Yarndale this time in the end. You were lucky managing to spot your socks, I always look for mine when I go but I don't always find them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did enjoy Crimple Hall and spotted a few items we liked but wouldn't of got in the car. I spotted the signs for RHS Harlow Carr and we may well put that on our list of places to visit. We like to make a weekend of it and usually find somewhere that takes our fancy en route to Skipton. I think we like all the planning and deciding where to go and obviously alot depends on the weather. We've still got lots on our list and still haven't managed to go to Skipton Castle or the narrow boats yet so always a good reason to return. Nottingham Expo isn't too far from me and I did get something pop up in my emails about it this morning. I've got a busy month in November but may pop along if I can squeeze it in.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  6. That sounds like my kind of weekend. Tony and I adore Skipton... it's on our list of potential places to retire to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that would be lovely. D would like to go down to the South West but so much has been spoilt over the years. I think Skipton or the surrounding areas would be a lovely place to retire to. We used to visit quite often about 15 years ago as it was just over the pennines for us when we lived in Manchester. I have a way to go yet before I can take retirement so I may just have to work on him a bit about staying in the countryside versus moving to be near the sea.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  7. Sounds a wonderful weekend, I enjoyed seeing your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful weekend away. Lots of treats of the yarny and edible kind!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...