Sunday 10 June 2018

A little bit of this & a little bit of that

As always I look forward to my time off from work,  but as usual it went far far too quickly and before I know it I'm back at my desk once more. I  start off with all good intentions with a list of things I am going to achieve whilst I am off.  It usually involves a number of chores needing doing around the house or the garden that I've just not had the time to do on a weekend or finishing off a crafting project of which there are usually quite a few but if I can complete one that's an accomplishment.  The weather was glorious again over the bank holiday weekend and we did manage to get a few jobs completed but then the weather turned on us.  I had arranged for friends to come for lunch on the Tuesday, fully expecting that we would be able to eat alfresco as we so often end up eating aldesko when we are at work. It would have been lovely to  follow this with a long leisurely walk with the furry paws. Unfortunately the weather had other ideas so it was lunch around the kitchen table with a lot of chatter about various subjects putting the world to rights as we always do, a lot of food was consumed and tea drunk as you can imagine.


As the week went on the weather did improve. The garden is still very much a work in progress and will be for the foreseeable.  It's lovely having such a big garden but it's almost a little overwhelming.  The bearded one would like everything done yesterday and constantly asks me what else needs to be done, but I like to be able to formulate a plan and bring out my inner Alan Titchmarsh not just plonk anything anywhere just to fill a space.  I think he finds this a little exasperating. I want the garden to be a wildlife friendly garden and attract lots of bird, bees and butterflies. We already get the odd little field mouse but it would be lovely to see Hedgehogs in the garden, so any suggestions of plants would be gratefully received. 






It's taken the best part of a year but the bird feeders are now very much established and in demand on a daily basis. We joke that we must have the fattest sparrows in the area. We have been visited by the resident sparrows but we have also had chaffinches, blue tits, great tits and there was great excitement (by me) when we had long tail tits and gold finches pay us a visit,  we even get queues of birds along the picket fence waiting to get a turn to get to the feeder.  The local garden centre definitely does well out of us for peanuts, fat balls and bird seed. 







The Swallows are back and have been nesting up in the eves and I can hear them calling to their parents in the mornings for yet more food. The hedges are in desperate need of clipping but at the moment they are like the local maternity ward, full of nesting birds.  It's been lovely to see the little fledglings in the garden and how attentive the parents are in encouraging them to take flight.  To see these little balls of fluff getting ready to make their way into the big wide world is wonderful. 

The human boys went off training spotting for some of the week which meant I got to catch up on my crafting projects. 

crocheting.


cross stitching 


My little hedgehog cross stitching. I now have approximately 400 stitches to go plus the back stitching to go



and even started on writing up and making a little cardigan to form part of the layette set for my new grand baby, which I will share with you when it's finished.




There was of course a little baking and making going on at the farm house over the course of the week and I did make time to catch up on writing up posts and blog reading.






Eventually the weather brightened later in the week,  which meant we could get out and about with the furry boys for walks.  We are still on a journey of discovery of all the best places to walk them.  I am still astounded that living in the idyllic countryside that people do not pick up after their dogs when they go out walking.   We found a lovely woodland walk but having got 100 yards a long the path found that we were playing dodge the poo and had to turn back........... we continue on this particular journey.


Finally it must now be summer as the starlings arrived back en mass on Wednesday evening taking over the back lawn for a little R & R before taking flight once more. Watching the murmuration of these birds is simply magical but it did remind me of a scene from Hitchcock's 'The Birds' and what was even more bizarre was the next night on each of the back posts sat a crow which then made me feel that any moment now the music from 'The Omen' would start.




Lastly The bearded one was sporting a very orange T'shirt which I think this little bee thought meant he was a giant gerbera daisy as it kept coming and sitting  before on him eventually staying on his thumb. It stayed a while before deciding that maybe he wasn't a giant gerbera after all.

Our teen has ASD and attends an additional needs school, they always move up to their next class the term before summer to give them a chance to get settled before the summer holidays.  This means he is now a year 10 student and quite a lot of changes for him in the coming months. I hope for those of you with school age children that the first week back has not proved too problematic I can't believe we are in June already and that the summer break will be here again before we know it. 

Hope you have a good week one & all.

Mx

12 comments:

  1. Time off always seems to go quickly, doesn't it? It's a shame you couldn't get in the garden for your little tea party but I'm sure you enjoyed having a natter around the kitchen table all the same. It doesn't take long for birds to find the feeders, we get all the same birds as you except for the long tailed tits, we used to get them on the allotment, which isn't far away from us, but I've never seen them in the garden. As for hedgehogs, I don't know about plants but leaving a corner of swept leaves and a log pile might entice them in. Their numbers are declining but we still see lots around here, especially when taking Archie on his last walk at night. Don't get me started on dog mess, I think responsible dog owners are even more exasperated over this than non dog owners as we all seem to get tarred with the same brush, yet I always pick up after Archie and would never dream of leaving a mess where we've been, it's so annoying. What a good idea for your teen to move classes before the summer break, it must be more settling for him so that he's not worried about going back after the holidays, and year 10 already, I don't know where the time goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right Jo we get really cross and I've even been known to call someone back and give them a nappy sack before now. When we lived at The Willows someone used to go around with a spray can of bright pink paint and spray it every time she found a pile not that it did any good.
      We've had a new bird in the garden today and I was beyond excited to see a woodpecker on the bird feeder and he's been back several times over the course of the day so I think he will be with us a lot from now on. I love seeing something new and having to try and find out what it is. We've got Lapwings in the field behind us so I'm just hoping the crows stay away from their nest.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  2. I love your idea, of having a bird/critter friendly garden!!! Ohhh yes, especially since you already live in such an idylic area.

    Lovely flowers.....

    The orange T-shirt, making the bee think, he was a giant flower!!!! Oh that is so cute. :-)

    Changeable weather! On my yes, all over, this is happening. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has been beautiful again this weekend so we have spent the majority of the time in the garden. I'm off to work for a rest today.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  3. It is good to get out in the garden to do jobs even if it turns into bird watching I say! I loved your post today. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo. Sometimes there’s just not enough hours in the day and weekends go far too quickly. D always tells me I won’t be able to retire that i’ll get too bored but I can honestly say I could quite easily fill my days. For now though i’ll Just keep dreaming about a time when i’m not up with the larks.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  4. I hope your son is settling into his new class well since the return to school, such a good idea.
    You certainly have a lot of bird life around you and I bet they love you living there too! I came home yesterday to find the biggest tree near us which was in the back garden of a near neighbor had been chopped down, the starlings will miss that as we would quite often hear them as they settled onto for a while before swooping off again!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He seems to be liking it at the moment so we're keeping our fingers crossed that he is going to settle in with his new class mates reasonably well. He was the only one from his previous class to move into this one as it's the GCSE class so he's moved in with some of the older pupils so we'll see how that goes. I love having the birds visiting the garden D bought me a book for Christmas so I can identify the ones I don't know. Such a shame that trees that have been there for many years suddenly get taken down. I can understand if they are dead or diseased but always seems a shame to remove a perfectly healthy tree unless it's causing issues with the foundations. We've just bought two trees to plant in the back garden but we need to dig a space for them first which I can foresee being this weekends project.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  5. I love the little hedgehog! It is such a shame you ever get to see the real ones these days. Anna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We’ve found evidence they are around but that’s good that we’re not seeing them during the day

      Delete
  6. Great photos.As a Dog Walker,I am so angry at lazy people who either do not pick up,or do but then hang the bag in a tree,Disgusting that's even worse to me.Love your crafts,that lil hedgehog is so cute.We get them in the garden a lot here in St.Agnes.We are surrounded by fields.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m with you Lee ican’t Abide the leaving in the tree or hanging off a post it’s just.lazy. If you’re in St AgnesCornwall I know the area I have friends in the village a lovely spot.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...