Saturday 23 June 2018

Walking with alpacas & sparkling afternoon tea

I awoke very early Thursday morning with much excitement for a 50 something year old women. 

About 5 years ago I was introduced to a lovely lady who had moved into one of our offices. We soon found we had a lot in common and have become firm friends with trips to The Festival of Quilts  and Yarndale becoming an annual pilgrimage.   


I have seen many  adverts for walking with alpacas but never thought anyone would be mad enough to come with me, but you guessed it she was up for it. Her husband is convinced we are coming up with some sort of weird and wonderful bucket list.  Not sure that the zip wire experience in Wales is one I am up for as I am terrified of heights. 


There is something about the face of an alpaca they just melt my heart and the crazy hair styles they are given after shearing. They make my worst hair day look good.


We booked through Charnwood Forest Alpacas based on the Leicestershire/Derbyshire border. There are quite often special offers on  their facebook page groupon or wowcher and the booking system is very simple. 

Upon arrival you are given a talk about the alpacas you'll be walking with and all the do's and don'ts. They use the boys for the walks as the females are either expecting a crie or are a nursing mum.




They also have their stud boys that are kept separate from those who go walking.   We had Pundit and Saunders and they were just the gentlest of nature.


As part of your walk you go past the maternity paddock and get to see the cria's and their mothers. There was a little one who had only been born an hour before we arrived who was a bit of a surprise as he wasn't due to arrive until July.





Half way you stop in a beautiful wooded area where you can take lots of photographs and you get to feed your alpaca.  They are very astute when it comes to where you may have hidden the food.  We were warned that if you put it in your pocket they would find it and be eating it and the paper bag it comes in before you got to the woods.  They have even been known to get themselves in your handbag to find the goods.  Mine was secured in my the pocket of my jumper underneath my bodywarmer so Pundit didn't manage to find it but once we got to the woods he was definitely expecting something for his efforts. 






There are different experiences that you can book through the website we went for the 60 minute walk followed by a sparkling afternoon tea.  Nothing was too much trouble for the staff in the Chilli Bean cafe even offering to take your photograph to complete your day.  I would definitely recommend you walking with alpacas if there is somewhere in your area.  


Mx

25 comments:

  1. Have never heard of something like this, before. How very interesting.

    And I especially like the idea of "Sparkling Tea"!!! :-))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely afternoon and definitely don’t again x

      Delete
  2. I would love to do that.What an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was and I would love to do it again.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  3. What a lovely way to spend an afternoon and something a bit different too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely and would highly recommend it. Its nice to something different sometimes too.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  4. I have seen similar on the telly.Must have been wonderful to actually do it tho.I love them gorgeous creatures.Great pics,thanks for sharing.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are lovely Lee so gentle. I would definitely go again.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  5. Oh, I am so envious! I love alpacas and my daughter is desperate to walk with them. Sadly, she is doing an internship at the moment, so it may not happen this summer. Definitely on our 'to do' list though! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do hope you get to do it one day you’ll love it.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  6. What a great day out. I know my husband would love to do this.
    The idea of a sparkling afternoon tea sounds very tempting.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really enjoyed ourselves and a lot giggling went on I can tell you. I think the alpacas probably thought we were a bit barmy and they would be right.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  7. I'd no idea that walking with alpacas was something you could do! Perhaps it will start appearing on bucket lists along with swimming with dolphins!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun! There are several Alpacas and/or Llamas being used locally as "guard" animals for flocks of sheep. I must check out if we have walks with Alpacas on offer. ... Mary-Lou =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find somewhere as I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as we did.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  9. What a lovely day out. As if the alpacas aren't enough, sparkling afternoon tea makes it all the more special.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was lovely Jo and I would certainly go again.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband would love to walk with Alpacas. He melts every time he sees one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D thinks they are cute but would be terrified of them even though I have told him they are very gentle. It was a lovely couple of hours on a sunny afternoon Cherie and if you can find somewhere close to you that does this its well worth the money. Maybe a birthday treat for hubby.

      Mitzi

      Delete
    2. That is a great idea. He would be chuffed to bits

      Delete
  12. Just hopped over from Jo's blog!

    Lovely to see your photographs, that looks a great day out.
    Sparkling afternoon tea sounds very nice indeed.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All are welcome here Jan pop over when ever you like. It was a lovely afternoon of chatting and laughter with alpacas to boot and yes the afternoon tea was delicious, we even took a piece of cake home each for the other halves.

      Mitzi

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...