Saturday 21 July 2018

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood


'I believe in the resistance as I believe there can be no light without shadow, or rather, no shadow unless there is also light.'

Offred is a Handmaid in The Republic of Gilead. a religious totalitarian state in what was formerly known as the United States. She is placed in the household of The Commissioner, Fred Waterford - her assigned name , Offred, means 'of Fred'. She has only one function: to breed. If Offred refuses to enter into the sexual servitude to repopulate a devastated world, she will be hanged. Yet even a repressive state cannot eradicate hope and desire. As she recalls her pre-revolution life in flashbacks, Offred must navigate through the terrifying landscape of torture and persecution in the present day, and between two men upon which her future hangs. 


I've not seen the TV adaptation of Margaret Atwood's book and after all the hype from colleagues at work I thought I was missing out on something. So when a colleague said they had the book if I would like to borrow it I said yes. 

I don't know where my reading head is at the moment but I thought I would enjoy this book  more than I did.   I got the concept and thought it was extremely well written in it's description of living in the future where the sole purpose of having these young women was to repopulate the former USA, but for me it did struggle to keep my attention.  I seem to be struggling at the moment to find a book that grabs my full attention, a book that I just can't put down because I need to know more. I know such books exist as I have read some of them.... just not sure this one is one of them.

As always only my rambling opinion, I suspect most of you that have read it absolutely thought it was totally unputdownable.  I'm sure this reading fog will lift before too long. May be the autumn months will bring about a change in my reading slump. 

In the meantime any recommendations of a book I may enjoy more?



Mx


13 comments:

  1. What kind of books do you like? Myself, I like thrillers, murder mysteries etc. If you like this type there are a few I could recommend, namely Michael Connolly (any) David Baldacci (any apart from Saving Faith), Lisa Gardner is also good. There are numerous authors to chose from, but as I'm reading a lot of Michael Connolly I certainly recommend him at the moment. Hope you find something to suit you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joan I’ve moved onto a Jodi Picoult and getting on much better. I’ve read several of her books before. I also like Kate Morton, Amanda Prowse & JoJo Moyes to name but three.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  2. I agree. This book wasn’t my cup of tea either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad it wasn’t just me. I don’t think I would of picked it in the supermarket it was only that a colleague leant it to me to read and we normally have very similar tastes.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  3. I am also struggling through an extreme book drought. I've picked up several I've seen recommended on other's blogs but they have left me feeling less than engaged. There are so many books with such mean dark miserable characters. I'm not looking for sugar coating but something that engages me, makes me like the main character(s) & root for them. I've not read anything as good since The Thirteen Tale, which I've already re-read a couple of times. I think the TV show of the Hand Maid's Tale has struck a cord because it's apparently similar to what is happening in parts of the US of A. Margaret Atwood is one of our Canadian national treasures, but I'm not a fan (I've tried, really I've tried). =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did think that how it be perceived and it could happenšŸ˜Š
      I think i’ve read the thirteenth tale I recognise the title,

      Mitzi

      Delete
  4. hello,I have not read this book.I tried to watch the TV version but just found it very weird and a tad violent.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book was a little dark and weird too Lee.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  5. Have to say the film and book were not for me!
    I guess we are fortunate to have such a large choice available to us though.

    My present read is a book by Milly Adams …

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just goes to show how different we are in our reading choices doesn’t it.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  6. Not read this as I dislike dystopian literature. If you like Jodi Picoult, try Diane Chamberlaine. Similar but I prefer her books. Recommended are The Midwifes confession, The stolen marriage, The secret life of Cee Cee Wilkes (also published under the title of The lost Girl). I. Fact I e liked them all apart from Reflection. Also recommend Louise Candlish as a good storyteller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about Diane Chamberlain Eloise. I have read a few of hers including the midwives confession. Don’t think i’ve read any Louise Candlish though.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  7. I loved this both, found it quite disturbing in places. I haven't watched the TV series because I enjoyed the book and sometimes it spoils it if the programme/film doesn't match up.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...