Saturday 1 December 2018

Cross stitch Ta Dah moment


November has been a month of trying to complete on going projects before the end of the year so that come the 1st January I can begin new projects guilt free.  I thought I would have today as a Cross stitch Ta Dah moment. Look who is back from the framers. Doesn't he look as cute as can be.  This little rabbit design is by Hannah Dale of Wrendale designs, so you're bound to have seen him on mugs, tea towels and other Wrendale bits and pieces.   Some of the Wrendale Designs have been produced as cross stitch kits by Bothy Threads and I purchased the kit from Sew and So. This design is known as Bath Time and he is going to hang in my little grandson's nursery along with the hedgehog design I made previously who is called Awakening. Both designs are stitched on 14ct aida  that is supplied in the kit and has the trademark spotting associated with Wrendale. The finished size on both cross stitches is 26cm x 26cm.



When my son and his partner announced they were expecting a baby I did ask them whether or not they would like any cross stitches to hang in the nursery.  Both my son & his partner like the Wrendale designs and so we focused our attentions on picking two designs that they could hang in the nursery that wouldn't necessarily be outgrown too soon.  And at least when that day comes his mum can borrow them to hang around the house until such time as he grows up and has a place and or children of his own when he may like to have them hanging on the wall again. 


It was never my intention to go on and make a birthing sampler as eventually it will be wrapped up and put away as a keepsake.  I don't know of any 18 year old men who still have theirs hanging on their bedroom wall.  As it turned out our young Freddie made such a spectacular early entrance into the world and his poor mum having suffered with terrible morning sickness never really got into the glowing stage of pregnancy before he arrived.  This also meant that the baby shower her friends had been secretly organising also didn't get to go ahead, but not to be thwarted by this her friends continued their plotting and held a post baby shower.  I had been sorting through my stash of fabrics, floss and charts when I came across the chart for this little sampler.  I had completely forgotten about it as it must be nearly 20 years since I stitched this for a colleagues baby and I don't think this particular kit is still available. As Freddie's nursery has a bit of a countryside theme going on and his bedding has sheep on it I thought this little sampler would fit right in. and his mum loved it.  The designer is Maria Van Scharrenburg and I have stitched some of her designs previously and have at least two more waiting for that rainy day.   The kit was named 'Me and my friend Dennis' and stitched on 28ct evenweave and the finished size is 15cm x 15cm.




My last show and tell is my Carousel Horse I. Technically it falls into December as I put the last stitch in this afternoon and it has already been washed, dried and pressed.


Together with Carousel Horse II they are now ready to go off to the framers in the New Year. Both horses are from chart book Fantasy Horses produced by Cross My Heart Inc.  These charts are around 20 years old and I'm not sure the book is still in print but may be found through ebay. I stitched both horses on 28ct evenweave and the finished size of carousel horse I is 24cm x 22cm whilst carousel horse II is 22cm x 22cm.

It is amazing what you discover when you are having a sort through charts you have squirreled away. I found charts that I hadn't looked at in years and some that I had completely forgotten I had. Sad to say I have so many that I probably don't have enough years left in order to complete them all and although my daughter has stitched in the past she hasn't done so for some years, but you never know when she inherits them all she may get the incentive to start stitching again. 




Mx

14 comments:

  1. I love the Bothy threads ones.Sew and So are a brilliant company to deal with.I usually send them a thank you for their prompt service.
    I suspect this Christmas is going to be very special for you with the arrival of Freddie.Enjoy.Barbarax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara I do enjoy cross stitching as I can’t draw this is my way of creating pictures.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  2. They're all fabulous and little Freddie is such a lucky boy to have such beautiful pictures adorning his walls, I'm sure he'll always treasure them. As you say, teenage boys don't always appreciate such things but as he gets older he'll come back to them and they'll become heirlooms for his own children. I do love the Wrendale designs, I've got a couple of pictures and a mug too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo. Yes he’s definitely a lucky little boy to have so many people around him who loves him. I still have my daughter’s cross stitches that hung in her nursery. She’s renting a house with a friend for the time being but they will go to her one day when she’s settled.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  3. Wow, those are lovely. If the rabbit dropped its other ear, it could be Hamish! My daughters both have birthing samplers - the eldest still has hers on her bedroom wall at home. My youngest doesn't but I treasure it still, as I'm sure Freddie's mum will if he decides he is too old for such a thing. It's years since I did any cross stitch - you've quite inspired me. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to go back to it, I find it very therapeutic especially at this time of year when there’s not much you can be doing outside. I still have crochet/knitting projects to try and finish before Christmas so I am resisting the temptation to start another project but I can tell you it’s very tempting.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  4. Love all your cross stitch particularly the beautiful horses. I love to cross stitch too but I’m afraid my love of knitting has taken over recently. Must dig out my cross stitch books one of these days. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does tend to be the problem when you have more than one crafting hobby😊

      Mitzi

      Delete
  5. Your creative stitching is amazing. I like the squirrel & hedgehog, perfect for a child's room. I would want the carousel horses in my room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I did a big carousel designed by Teresa Wentzler 25 years ago which hangs in the hallway of my current home and although these two carousel horses are not by the same designer I thought they would complement each other. Now I have completed them I am not sure if they will actually fit in the space but if not I will find somewhere else for them to hang which may well be my bedroom. My son & his partner were very pleased with the hedgehog and rabbit pictures and she loved the baby sampler as she knew nothing about that until I presented it to her at her post baby baby shower.

      M x

      Delete
  6. Love the cross stitch Sue. I as struggling trying to do some crochet. I find I really need strong light to do anything like cross stitch. I did find it quite therapeutic at different stages of my life. Great to do on long plane journey until they ban needles. Hope all is going well 🏞😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes these days I use a lamp with a magnifier I wouldn't be able to stitch by eye anymore.

      Mx

      Delete
  7. So lovely seeing your cross stitch and have to say the horses are wonderful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan they are still waiting to go to the framers as I can't quite make my mind up what sort of frame I want to put them in. Once I have finished D's sampler I will take them in and have a play with different borders and frames which is all part of the fun of stitching.

      Mx

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...