Thursday 9 May 2019

Come into my garden- The beginning

I'd like to invite you all to come along on a journey of discovery and fact finding mission along the way you may even teach me a thing or two. Or rather I hope you will..... 

I would not class myself as an expert gardener by any means and I have made lots of mistakes over the years. Not checking the size that something will grow and then wondering quite what to do with the triffid that has appeared.  Not checking that I have the right soil conditions or whether they would cope with shade, partial shade or full sun. So I decided if I was going to make something of this garden then I really needed to find my inner Alan Titchmarsh and plan it properly.


Phase one


When we first moved here two years ago the garden, although big was just an expanse of grass, 




grass 

& more grass 
and whilst I relished the potential of what we could do with it, I must admit it was also a little overwhelming. 



a part from the perimeter gates and fences there was nothing to stop the furry paws running in a complete circle around the house, great exercise for them you might think but would prove to be a little interesting getting them back in.



Therefore the first job before even the first box was unpacked was to make the garden dog proof and fences were soon  being erected and gates put in place.






The plan was to cordon off  the garden to make smaller more manageable areas, whilst keeping the big grassed area at the back, at least for the foreseeable. Just like when you had small children we like to be able to see where the boys are at all times when we are in the garden and you can bet you're life they head for the one spot where you can't see what they're up to as soon as you open the door, well not anymore.


With phase one complete I could now turn my attention to the next phase, plants and whilst some planting has taken place over the last 18 months there is still a long way to go. I will be sharing with you posts about what I have started and looking for ideas and don't worry if you miss a post or three as I have set up a separate page so you will be able to follow what I've been up to over the coming months.  The bearded one is much more a buy a plant you like the look of and then decide where it should go type gardener, he is yet to learn by my mistakes. I on the other hand have learnt by my mistakes and prefer to give some thought to what I want to plant and will look for inspiration on Google imaging and Pinterest come up with a list of plants and then do my homework. I have several good books but also find the RHS Plants website very helpful and this year I'm off to Gardeners World Live and who knows I may just bump into Alan or Monty in the tea tent.


Mx


6 comments:

  1. We love our garden, but we have very fine, sandy soil and regularly have to buy soil to replenish the veg beds. We are more veg growers than plant growers. We keep the garden tidy and weed free, though we leave some, like dandelions, as these are essential to bees, butterflies and insects. I am of the 'if I like it, buy it' type. I have purchased many half-dead plants from the 'reduced for quick sale' table, not even knowing what they are!! Luckily all have done well and flourished. Most of my flowers are just from seeds and bulbs that come up year on year with little help from us. I'm looking forward to your garden project. Best wishes, Jane :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have bought a few bargain basement plants but usually I recognise what they are if they’ve lost their label and so far they have taken. D bought a couple of blue opal magnolias and they’ve really done nothing so they are on last chance saloon to see if they do anything this year and if not they’ll get movedpossibly into a pot to see if they come on as they mature. D did tomatoes last year and we have bought a couple of troughs to plant some bits and pieces. I’ve never really grown any veg only salad.

      Mx

      Delete
  2. I think it very sensible to split the garden into sections, especially when you've got dogs, though it's nice to have the big expanse of grass too. I think the planting is the most exciting part, choosing things you like and watching them grow. You'll get lots of inspiration at Gardeners World Live, it's quite a few years since I've been but it's a good day out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went with my daughter a couple of years ago but it was the hottest day of the year. I did buy one plant to bring home which is still growing albeit slowly...

      Mx

      Delete
  3. All the best with your garden, it will be interesting to see it develop. Gardening is not my speciality but I really should do more. Who knows you may inspire me. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn’t say it’s my speciality either Cathy but i’ll have ago and when I see it coming together it’s great. Maybe you’ll find you’re inner Alan Tutchmarsh too😊😊😊

      Mx

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...