Friday 9 August 2019

And the winner is...



August is the month when the annual Festival of Quilts comes to the NEC Birmingham.  I wasn't supposed to be going this year as it was quite a busy time at the day job and I wasn't sure I was going to be able to fit a trip in.  Some weeks ago I had entered a competition to win two tickets to the show being held by  Vikki of Shute Lane a fabulous artist who makes her art into fabric in order to make quilts and cushions. I had completely forgotten all about entering and so was over the moon when Vikki sent me a message to say I had won.  It was a bit of a panic station to arrange at short notice to be able to go but I am so pleased I did.










The exhibition is held over four days. As the name would suggest it is four fantastic days of an exhibition of quilts. Some of which are 100's of years old and others of more modern times. I absolutely fell in love with this quilt with the sheep it made me think of Yarndale which will be here again before we know it. 



As well as the exhibition there were many stalls, but not just for quilters. I did manage to come home with another two cross stitch charts, to add to the many in my stash, two more pairs of embroidery scissors, you can never have enough.



John James Pebbles Sewing Needles in Different Sizes & Uses - Handbag Pebble #johnjames


I discovered John James pebbles a few years ago.  They are so handy to keep in your project bag no matter what the project, and how many times have you needed to sew a button on or do an emergency repair and can't find a needle that will be a thing of the past with one of these.


These two are for beading and knitting and once you have a pebble if necessary you can just buy a pack of replacement needles.


And as a cross stitcher you can never have too many needle minders.  There are lots of these on the market these days but I couldn't resist taking these two home.

It was certainly a fabulous day out as always and I look forward to going again next year.

Mx

10 comments:

  1. Those quilts look stunning! I've only ever made one patchwork quilt; a very basic log cabin and it's still a bright and beautiful as when I made it back in 2000. I've never been to a yarn or quilt festival. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're one step a head of me Jane. I've never made a quilt but can certainly appreciate all the hard work that goes into making them. It's my friend who I go to all things crafty with who is the quilter and she makes some beautiful things including a quilt for my little grandson that he uses every day. Sometimes we'll go to a show and come home empty handed just not seen anything that leaps off the shelf and other times we can go with specific things in mind, but either way they are a fantastic day out.

      Mx

      Delete
  2. I've never been to the festival but it's on my bucket list! It certainly looks well worth a visit - lucky you winning tickets. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if you go once and never again it is certainly worth a visit whether it be to see the quilt exhibition or to wonder round the stalls or both its definitely worth going at least once.

      Mx

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your win, such talented quilters. Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some very talented people out there these photo's are just a snap shot of the amazing quilts on display. Its certainly worth while attending. I am one of those people who very rarely win anything and so this was a wonderful surprise.

      Mx

      Delete
  4. How lovely that you won a ticket, I bet you're glad you ended up going now. There's some stunning quilts there and, like you, I love that sheep one. I've just seen your Egyptian Sampler from your last post, that's absolutely fabulous. You're a very dedicated stitcher, it must have been a lot of work. What a wonderful birthday gift, your husband must be thrilled to bits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great show as always I could spend hours just looking at the work in all the quilts and its so nice if the quilter is there to talk to and ask questions. I started the Egyptian sampler at the end of January with the daft notion that I could get it finished in time for his birthday in April. I was very relieved when I put in the last stitch its certainly been a labour of love D had chosen this for his birthday so he has watched it coming to life over the last 6 months. I did have a gap of six weeks as I got to a point where I needed to do something else for a while but its finally finished and I am taking to the framers this morning.

      Mx

      Delete
  5. Wow! What fabulous quilts. How lovely to see them 'in the flesh'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a quilter like my friend but I can appreciate all the work that goes into producing these stunning quilts. May be one day when I retire I can find the time to have a go at making one but I will need to learn how to use a sewing machine first.

      Mx

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...