Wednesday 16 October 2019

Traditional hooded jacket by Naturkinder


Oh its that time of year again when the leaves are turning on the trees and the conkers are teetering ready to fall and the wet and windy weather is beating against our doors. Autumn is definitely here with Strictly returning to our screens and the all the new drama's that seem to come and go at this time of year. There always seems to be something that can keep you entertained on these the  most blustery of days. 



There is nothing better than when it is blowing a hooley outside than being snug and warm in side with the heating on and your latest crafting project to hand. 


This is a pattern that I ordered at Yarndale 2018.  Its a very easy going pattern to make  made up in garter stitch and worked in one piece on size 4mm needles.  It comes in sizes 0-3/6+/12+  & 18 months+.  

It didn't state whether to make in DK or Aran so I have made one in both and they have equally turned out well. 

You can find more details on how to order a copy here

I made this little marled grey one in Stylecraft Life DK which is 25% wool and 75% acrylic in colour Pebble Nepp.  I made the 6+ size which used just under 200g of wool.  The buttons I had in my stash. This size will fit my little grandson leading up to the colder months of winter and will be great for both in the house and to pop on when getting in and out of the car. 







This lovely green/black jacket is made up of wool that I had left over in my stash. The colour is Black Watch which was released by Stylecraft a number of years ago now but sadly no longer available and from  memory I had made myself a lovely warm aran cardigan with it and this was what was left over. Not enough to make a big project with but just enough for making a Freddie sized jacket.   In fact I've got quite a few Freddie sized balls of wool left over in my aran stash so he may well be getting a few of these. 

The buttons I purchased at this years Yarndale and they are hand made/painted ceramic buttons made by ladies in Africa and sold by Injubalo  best known for their Bolga baskets and Zulu bowls.  They have such an extensive range of buttons that I don't think there has been a time that I have not found what I needed.  These little dinosaur buttons were sold as 5 for £5.50 and when you consider the work that has gone into them I really don't think that's too higher price and quite honestly they really complete  this little jacket.  This one is made in the 12+ month size and has come up lovely and snugly and feels warming to the touch so I know it will keep my little grandson  as snug as a bug in a rug and will certainly keep him warm going into the winter months. I am really looking forward to seeing him wearing them. Its so nice to have a very sensible DIL who loves all the  things I have made for him so far and isn't afraid to put in a request if there is something she would like for him, which is really lovely. 

I have now cast on another aran jacket but this time I am using a pattern that is 30 years old which both his daddy and his uncles and aunt have all had versions of growing up and I am looking forward to sharing that one with you when I have completed it. I may even see if I can find a photograph of one of them wearing it.  

Till then stay safe and warm.

Mx




2 comments:

  1. I used to love knitting clothes for my children when they were little. They knitted up quick and they looked so sweet. Little arans were my favourite to knit. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arans have always been my favourite Jane. I didn't keep all the patterns when my older three grew up but I still have one or two of my favourites and most of the one's I had when I had my youngest. Most of them have stood the test of time and now Freddie is a little bigger I can get the aran patterns out once more.

      Mx

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...