Thursday 4 March 2021

January/February Reads

 



Good afternoon to you all.  I realised last night as I turned the last page of my latest read that I have been sharing with you the books I have been reading since the start of the New Year.  With the house move etc towards the end of last year I lost my reading mojo a bit as life was just so crazy.  Anyway now things have settled back down and we are into the New Year I downloaded a book by one of my favourite authors Amanda Prowse only this time it was in collaboration with her son Josiah Hartley.  


Amanda is not just a writer she regularly appears on radio and is a panelist on the Jeremy Vine Show, she is such a lovely lady but you do have to beware that if you have an unusual name like mine then you could potentially end up in one of her books.  Not me personally but the use of my name.  All that aside its very true that none of us knows what is going on behind closed doors do we and someone can appear the life and soul of the party for the most part and this I think has been very true of Amanda. 


Little did any of us know at the time that Amanda's son Josh had been suffering with depression to the point that he didn't believe his presence on this here earth was worth while and contemplated finding away out.  As someone who has lost a member of my own family to suicide I could totally understand how this made Amanda and her family feel.  The Boy Between is their account of how they dealt with what life threw at them and how they have now come out of the other side of those dark days.  It is an interesting read seeing both their prospective on those times.  Josh is very open about how his depression encased him and how he didn't always feel that his family and friends got it. And for Amanda well as a mum you always want everything to be rosy in your garden don't you and when its not we do that mum thing of trying to fix everything when in reality there are times in all our lives not just those of our children when there just isn't a big enough tube of superglue to hold everything together.  

I would certainly recommend this book especially if you know of someone who is currently in the same situation as a family or in supporting a friend who may be going through this. 


My next read was The Burning Chambers.  I belong to a local crafting group and we used to meet up every couple of weeks but obviously with COVID we have not been able to do so since last summer. After Christmas we decided it might be nice to add into the mix a book club to our endeavor's so names of books were thrown into the mix and the recommended book was a Kate Mosse novel The City of Tears which was due out mid February. Then I discovered it is the second in a trilogy and if course my OCD brain said I should read the first in the trilogy first. I didn't intend for the whole group to do this but none the less they all decided we should start with the first book which we did, some are still reading it where as others have already got to the end but no matter we will all wait until we are done to start the second one.   Kate Mosse isn't normally one of my go to authors but sometimes it's good to take yourself out of your comfort zone isn't it.  Her books are so well written and she has a way with language that others do not. The books are set in the sixteenth century and French history, not something I know a whole lot about.   Essentially within all the conspiracies, betrayals and the adventures of war the underlying story is that of a love story between a young catholic girl, with a secret to her past and a young Huguenot convert and through all the advertises of life their love remains.  There is obviously a lot more to it than that as the book was just under 600 pages split into three parts and essentially a very good read.   To my surprise I did enjoy this book and I am looking forward to reading the sequel but I definitely made the right decision in reading this one first as it gives you a lot of background to the characters, of which their is a list at the front of the book to help keep track of them all, and of their story which may leave you at a disadvantage if you were to go straight to the second book.  It has also been one of Kindles 99p deals which is always appealing in itself. 


Lastly was another of my favourite authors Dani Atkins. She is not the most prolific of writers but when she releases a book I always know its going to be a good one and will cause me to have many late nights as I loose myself within the pages or in this case into my kindle and in doing so I loose all track of time and then glance at the clock to see that I have read way too long and have to be up at 5am the next morning for work.  Her latest offering again has been on the kindle deals at 99p.  A Sky Full of Stars is the story of a young couple and their son. They are a very close knit family and Connor is the centre of their world.  Lisa goes off to work one morning and is involved in a fatal accident leaving her family bereft. Alex is trying to deal with his own grief whilst trying to comfort his young son and finds it hard to keep on top of things.  The one positive from Lisa's death is people she was able to help as a result and the bond that is formed with one particular recipient of that help.  Each chapter alternates between Alex and Molly and tells their stories around those people that Lisa helped and how their lives have changed for the better since.  It is a beautifully written book and I would highly recommend it but with a definite mascara warning attached.  And of course chocolate always helps. 


So there we are those are my offerings for January and February and I will let you know how I get on with the sequel to The Burning Chambers next month if I have managed to finish it as I think it may be another 500 page novel from Ms Mosse.  


Take care & stay safe that light is surely coming around the corner at the end of that tunnel. 

Mx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...