Tuesday 28 February 2023

Goodbye February Hello March

 



You've got to love a fairy haven't you I'll let you into a secret they are my best friends and lots of them live at the bottom of my garden. 


This month I'm going to start with what I have been watching on the telebox.



Based on the Sarah Vaughan's novel of the same name Netflix has made a six part drama thriller starring Sienna Miller and Michelle Doherty.  Sophie Whitehouse, the wife of British Tory MP James Whitehouse, ;earns that her husband has been having an affair with an aide., Olivia Lytton. The news goes public blowing up their lives and forcing her to deal with the consequences of her husband's disastrous actions. To make matters worse, James is accused of raping Olivia and has to stand trial. 


I have to admit I binge watched this on a day when I had the house to myself, which is a rarity in itself. Having got the day to myself I had all sorts of things planned none of which happened because having started to watch Anatomy of Scandal I found I had to keep watching until the end credits of episode 6.  I would definitely recommend you watch it and hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐



Just before Christmas I discovered that Netflix have made a series based on her books and was keen to see how close to the books the series would be.    I watched season one and half of season two when I decided that I had to stop watching and reread the books.  I had  to check that the books that I had loved when i read them were not as bad as the series I was watching. Although there are elements of the books within the series most of it had sadly has been rewritten for Netflix viewers and sadly not to the standard of Kristin Hannah's books, the upshot being sometimes books need to stay as books and not be made into a Netflix series. ⭐⭐



So I am really hoping that you have all caught up on Happy Valley now and if not why not???  The series is brilliantly written by Sally Wainwright and started with the first two series being aired in 2014 and 2016.  It has since been a seven year wait as Wainwright wanted to keep the original characters and so consequently had to wait for Rhys Connah who plays Ryan to grow up and be able to play Ryan  as a sixteen year old.   You can find the write up of each series here and if you have never watched it I really can't recommend the series enough and it definitely deserves it's ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐  I am just disappointed that the series has now come to an end with Sally Wainwright commenting that there will not be a series 4 but you never know she may just change her mind. 



My last offering is Unforgotten  crime drama written by Chris Lang.  The programme  follows a team of London detectives as they solve cold cases of disappearance and murder. Rach series consists of six episodes.  Each series deals with a new case, introducing seemingly unconnected characters who are gradually revealed to have some relationship with the victim. As the murder mystery  unfolds, the emotional ramifications of the crime on the lives of those affected are also explored.  Series 1 - 4 include the story of DCI Cassie Stuart's personal life: of the typical but growing conflicts in her immediate family, of her spartan arm lengths relationships with individuals who like her, of her drive to solve cases and of her coping both successfully and unsuccessfully with the relentless stain of her job. During the historical cold cases Cassie verbalizes her driving motive to find the truth of what happened, provide closure to the living and possibly bring a criminal to justice. An inner motive surfaces when she says she hopes solving a current case will help her move on. 

I am so pleased that they are bringing the series back after such a dramatic ending to series 4 and I can't wait to see what series 5 will bring.  Series 1-4 definitely worth a watch if you have either not watched the series before or just want to refresh your memory of what a brilliant series this has been so far ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐



Now to my latest off the bookshelf reads....


A coming of age novel about a generation of women who were both blessed and cursed by their choices.   It is 1974 and the summer of love is finally drawing to a close. The flower children are starting to realise that you cannot survive on peace and love alone. Kate Mularkey has accepted her place at the bottom of the secondary school social food chain. Then, to her amazement, the coolet firl in the world, Tully Hart the girl all the boys want to know - moves in across the street and wants to be her best friend. Tully and Kate became inseparable and by summers end they made a pact to be best friends forever. For thirty years Tully and Kate Buoy each other through life, weathering the storms of friendships, jealousy, anger, hurt and resentment. Tully will follow her ambition to find fame and success. Kate knows that all she wants is to fall in love and have a family. What she doesn't know is how being a wife and mother will change her. They think they've survived it all until a single act of betrayal tears them apart. But when tragedy strikes, can the bonds of friendship survive? Or is it the one hurdle than even a lifelong friendship cannot overcome. Firefly Lane is a book for every women knows that her best friend is the only person who really trully knows her. And it is a book she will never forget. 




Celebrity news reporter and presenter, Tully Hart, has hit rock bottom. Kate Ryan had been her best friend for more than thirty years. They'd lived, laughed, danced and cried together. Kate had been her anchor and now Tully was cast adrift not knowing how she was going to survive. 

Kate's daughter Marah, was only sixteen when her mother died. Consumed with guilt over the fights they'd had during her last months of Kate's life, Marah runs away and becomes a drop-out in society, maintaining no contact with her family. 

Tully's mother, Cloud, a child of the sixties, has lived a world of her own dependent on drugs for most of her adult life. She now wants to prove that she can help her daughter. But what will it take for Tully to forgive?

And then something momentous happens which causes each one of them to realise what they've done and what they have become. 

Fly Away is the story of three women who have lost their way and need each other plus a miracle to transform their lives. 



Having already told you what I think about the Netflix series of Firefly Lane I thought I would just reaffirm my love for Kirstin Hannah's books.  I first read Kristin Hannah books Firefly Lane and Fly Away  a number of years ago and I fell in love with this author and she quickly became one of my favorites and I still have many of her books to read.

Most of us  have one or more really good friends that have always been there for us and us for them.   I know I have friends that I have known for nearly fifty years and we know each other inside and out. Tully Hart and Kate Mularkey are two women who have been best friends for thirty years even though they were the most unlikely girls to become friends for life.  They are there to support one another through the highs and lows of life.

 I still loved the books and still give them ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 



Abandoned as a baby, twenty-five-year-old Lizzie Bartholomew spent her childhood moving between foster homes and has had more than her fair share of troubles.

Now a holiday in Morocco seems to be the perfect escape. Especially when she meets Philip, a fellow tourist. After a brief affair, Lizzie returns to England, only to find a solicitor's letter waiting for her.

Philip Samson has died and in his will, has left Lizzie a gift of £15,000. But there are conditions attached to this unexpected legacy that will soon force Lizzie to confront terrifying secrets from her past life . . .


I am an avid fan of Ann Cleeves writing and having devoured her Vera and Shetland series and her latest offering of The Two River series I found my self wanting more from this wonderful author.  

Lizzi Bartholemew is set on a journey after a chance meeting with Philip Samson whilst on holiday in Morroco.  None of it makes sense until she is finally able to start and connect the bits of the jigsaw. 


The Burial of Ghosts is a complete departure from Ann Cleeves usual style of writing as it is written in the first person rather than the third. Its flows at a much slower pace than her usual novels and I think some would struggle with this change in style.   I would recommend Burial of Ghosts as an introduction to an Ann Cleeves novel. ⭐⭐⭐⭐


 


She can't recall what started her collection. Maybe it was a fragment of conversation overheard as she cleaned a sink? Before long (as she dusted a sitting room or defrosted a fridge) she noticed people were telling her their stories. Perhaps they always had done, but now it is different, now the stories are reaching out to her and she gathers them to her ....

When Janice starts cleaning for Mrs B a shrewd and tricksy women in her ninties she meets someone who wants to hear her story. But Janice is clear; she is the keeper of stories, she doesn't have a story to tell. At least not one she can share. 

Mrs B is no fool and knows there is more to Janice than meets the eye. What is she hiding? After all, doesn't everyone have a story to tell?


The Keeper of Stories by Sally Page is a story which  brings many mini stories together which weave together to make a well constructed story.   It will make you both laugh and cry in equal measure.   Pick because it came up on my kindle deals but would definitely recommend. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

So what have I been up to craft wise this month. 


The first baby blanket of 2023 has been completed for one of the loveliest consultants I get to work with. This is his first baby and he and his wife welcomed a beautiful baby boy at the end of January but I didn't quite finish the blanket before baby arrived.  As I didn't know whether they were having a boy or girl I went back to my go to Solid granny square snuggle blanket in my Que Sera Sera colour way of style craft special DK in Parchment, Cream and Duck Egg Blue.



This year I am desperately trying to finish off projects that have been shut away waiting to be completed. The wool for this jumper was brought the last time I went to Yarndale and that would of been pre lockdown. That tells you how long ago I started this jumper.  Whilst having a tidy I rediscovered it languishing at the bottom of my knitting basket. I had completed the back and half the front and it's not as though it was a difficult pattern as it is garter rib all the way through.  Having made my discovery I got on and completed the rest of the font, two sleeves and neck.  The pattern is by Purl & Jane  and is called Leannan.  It is very comfortable to wear but I am saving it for a trip away at the end of March.






With a colleagues big birthday in February and knowing how much she admires my crafting I set about making her an Etui leaving her enough room to add the bits and pieces she already has some of which belonged to her mother in law and her mother so it will become a very special little box.





My final finish of the month was another pair of socks.  I these are my go to make when I have had a long day at work and just want something to do that will stop me from falling a sleep in front of the tv which usually means I then miss a programme that I have waited three weeks to watch.  My February socks are made using Woolcraft 4 ply sock yarn  of which there are 17 shades.  My February socks are made in shade 2147 Milano. 


We have celebrated another two birthdays and with that it brings my February to a close. I'm so glad that Spring is almost here and looking forward to what the new season will bring now that winter is over.


Mx




6 comments:

  1. I agree with you about Firefly Lane on Netflix. I watched Season 1 and started Season 2 but couldn't finish it. The books were so much better. And I started watching Anatomy of a Scandal but haven't gotten very far yet. Unforgotten looks good too. Thanks for all the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was disappointed with the Netflix series of Firefly Lane. I hope you enjoy Anatomy of a Scandal and get to give Unforgotten a try. Mx

      Delete
    2. I really liked Anatomy of a Scandal (well except for all the cursing). I did not see the "twist" coming at all. I was really surprised.

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely baby blanket, I'm sure it is much admired. I've just discovered Kristin Hannah's books, I read Winter Garden recently. Such an emotional read, I'm sure I'll read more but I couldn't read one after the other. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read Kristin Hannah's Winter Garden such a very sad and emotional story but so beautifully written. Mx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did I just published a half finished comment? It disappeared. Anyway, you've had a busy month! I prefer documentaries on the telly but have seen the first three series of Unforgotten. I might pick that up again. I am trying to remember if I read Kristin Hannah before.... will definitely pick a book up soon, I've looked the author up now. Here's to a new month of reading, watching and crafting x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...