Wednesday 3 May 2023

Goodbye April Hello May

 


Here we are again and I am making a concerted effort to be on top of my post this month. I'm starting with my book choices for April.



For Mothers Day my daughter gifted me Scott Mitchell's book of his life with Barbara Windsor.  It was a love affair that nobody thought would last.,  Barbara was 26 years older than Scott, meeting by chance when his mother a life long friend of Barbara , asked him to collect Barbara from her Mews home in London and drive her down to Sussex for a visit.  They hit it off straight away and what started out as an occasional lunch soon turned into a love story that would last thirty years 

I really didn't know much about Barbara Windsor's life other than what had been in the papers on and off for years.  She had led an incredible life but had also had a lot of heartbreak that is until she met Scott Mitchell.    They shared  a rollercoaster ride that was their  life  together in which Barbara supported her husband through his alcoholism and his road to recovery to him looking after his beloved wife through her illness with dementia.  ⭐⭐⭐⭐

 


Fifty years ago, a group of teenagers spent a weekend on Holy Island, forging a bond that has lasted a lifetime. They still return every five years to celebrate their friendship, and remember the friend they lost to the rising waters of the causeway at the first reunion. 

Now, when one of the found hanged, Vera is called in. Learning that the dead man had recently been fired after misconduct allegations, Vera knows she must discover what the friends are hiding, and whether the events of many years before could have led to murder then, and now... But with the tide rising secrets long hidden are finding their way to the surgae, and Vera and the team may find themselves in more danger than they could have believed possible. 

I am never disappointed in Ann Cleeves novels especially her Vera Stanhope series.  The Rising Tide is another fabulous offering . and I would definitely recommend. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


          ๐Ÿ“š

 

Aprils crafting Ta Dah moments comprise of another project I started but didn't get to complete last year. 



This is the Tree Skirt designed by In the hoop designs made each panel made individually and then joined together on your sewing machine.   I hadn't tackled something this detailed before and it has certainly been another steep learning curve. 




When I visited my last sewing retreat Easter was just around the corner and as my grandsons were due to visit I made them one of these little gnomes another design by In the hoop designs made completely in the hoop on my embroidery machine. These little gnomes are hiding a secret.  They are sitting on a kinder egg and my two little boys absolutely loved them.  I am even considering making them for the Christmas table this year and adding a bell to the hoods of the gnomes. 






Keeping with the Christmas theme and another design from In the hoop designs. As every crafter knows you have to start early preparing for Christmas if you are planning to craft your gifts.  I couldn't resist these bottle covers as gifts for friends and family this year,  They are mainly made in the hoop on my embroidery machine but finished off on the sewing machine.   I intend to make around 10 sets and with just two completed I still have a fare way to go. 





With being away and with having visitors over Easter I didn't quite get to complete my March socks until April. Made with Woolcraft 4 ply sock yarn in Paisley 984.  This does of course mean that my April socks are a little behind with  one completed and one still on the needles. 





I think my greatest accomplishment this year so far has to be completing my latest cross stitch project. 
The blue haired lady,  as she is affectionately known in my house and with friends who have watched her progression, has taken 18 months to complete.  She is another one of my projects that for the most part was finished last year but I took a break from her when the beading became a little monotonous. 

When I first saw this chart she immediately reminded me of my daughter who has a significant birthday next year and did at one time have blue hair.  With just under a year until the big day I finally decided it was time for her to come out of the cupboard again and get the rest of the beading completed.  



The chart of La Clef [The Key] is by French company Nimue but they now have many retailers stocking their charts across the UK.  This is the third design I have completed by this producer  all of which have so far been gifted to my daughter so I really hope that when her birthday arrives next February that she will equally love this one. 


๐Ÿงต


Take care one & all


Mx

1 comment:

  1. Such beautiful cross stitch, It's good to get projects finished and ticked off. Interesting books you've read, thank you for sharing. Cx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...