Wednesday 30 January 2019

Autumn Throws (two for the price of one)



Firstly thank you for all your get well wishes.  I am feeling much better and less like a zombie.  Its not often I take to my bed and if anything it bought it home to me that I am not as young as I was and that these days although I don't seem to acquire many viruses and things when I do they completely take the wind out of my sails and I can't bounce back the way I used to. Even though I have a flu jab every year I definitely would have said this was a flu type virus. Thankfully nobody else in the house seem to pick it up.  The bearded one had a lesser version but managed to ward it off.

Now I know we're in the midst of winter but it has to be said that autumn is my favourite of all the seasons with all the smells and the colours, I just love it.  With this in mind I decided that we needed a new throw for the farmhouse ready for the colder months, which is laughable in itself as I have attempted to make several throws for the house over the years only for it to be gifted to a family member or a friend for birthdays or Christmas.  But this one I was definitely going to keep for those long winter nights. And as the furry paws kept commandeering it to sit on whilst putting it together I think they too were in total agreement that it was about time they had something comfy to snuggle on or under. 

My Forever Autumn throw, named after the beautiful Justin Haywood  song from the musical War of the Worlds, is made with Stylecraft Special DK using my favourite  3.5m size hook and there are 90 squares (6 of each colour), one for each day of autumn, using Jan Eaton's Willow Block pattern in 15 gorgeous autumnal colours.

If you fancy having a go at this one the colours I used are:-

1004 Dark Brown                                       
1027 Khaki
1029 Copper
1035 Burgundy
1054 Walnut
1064 Mocha
1065 Meadow
1081 Saffron
1123 Claret
1246 Lipstick
1709 Gold
1711 Spice
1712 Lime
1723 Tomato
1823 Mustard

You will require one of each colour except for the colour you are going to join everything together with and for that I used 1004 Dark Brown and you will require two balls of yarn for this. As always I joined all the squares together using double crochet and the border was a nice simple slip stitch for 3 rounds. The cost of the wool works out to be approximately £32 or $40.




What do you do with the leftovers from making a throw especially if there is quite a bit left?  Well I decided to make another throw of course. As the title would imply with these throws you get two for the price of one, well almost in addition to the colours listed above you  will need to buy 300g 1710 Stone and 300g 1011 Midnight to complete each square so for an additional £12 or $15 you can make a second throw.   My Autumn Mist throw, so called because as a child I loved the song Puff the magic dragon , who lived by the sea and frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honahlee. Using my solid granny square I made 90 squares with  the left overs from the Forever Autumn blanket by crocheting  rounds 1-2 in the colours listed above followed by rounds 3-5 in 1710 Stone and the 6th with a final round in 1011 Midnight, so a total of 6 rounds in all.  I  joined  this one together  with 1011 Midnight in the same way as I did for Forever Autumn but this time I finished off with a picot edge, which does give it a nice cosy feel.  Both throws measure approximately 170cm x 200cm so plenty of room to snuggle under. Autumn Mist was gifted to my son and his partner for Christmas and it was lovely to see their faces when they opened it.  It is so nice when you gift something and straight away you can see how much your efforts are appreciated but I must admit I did love this one and it was hard giving it away so I think I may just have to make another one for me. Well we do have two sofa's in the lounge and therefore the two throws would complement each other wouldn't they?  Best put it on the to do list to join the queue of all the crafty projects I have planned for this year.

Anybody else already filled their calendar of craft projects for the year?

With more cold weather if not snow due keep warm and safe one & all. 


Mx








15 comments:

  1. I love both of your blankets; such beautiful colours. I'm not surprised that your furry friends tried to commandeer them. I think 2 sofas definitely require 2 throws! Glad you're feeling better. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are gorgeous aren't they. I love the autumn shaded one, it would go very nicely in my sitting room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its been trying to snow on off today so I'm thinking both the blankets may be in full use over the next few days.

      M

      Delete
  3. Thank you for stopping by my blog, and leaving a comment.

    Lovely, lovely projects!!!!!!!

    No, I don't craft, so I have no projects lined up. {I can hear you, and many, gasping.... ,-)))))}

    So sorry you had a flu bug!!!! And I agree, things change when we get older. Have to give the bod more time to fight it off, and to rest up after, being sick.

    And since we really don't want to be sick here, especially after my husband was ill, with something else, in December.... I have decreed that we wear germ masks, when out in public. Other years, he has balked at this, but this year, he is putting it on, without as much complaining. ,-))))

    We always get the flu shot also. But don't think we can rely on that, to keep us well. If anything, it may make a case of the flu, less awful.

    So, we wear our *delightful* looking masks!

    In grocery store, got talking to a younger woman, with a mask. We both agreed that we were well. We were wearing them, to prevent getting sick. As she said, she didn't care if anyone thought it odd. They were not going to take care of her, if she got the flu.

    Listen to your body! Rest as much and as long, as it tells you to do so! I speak as your elder. -grin- Because I am 81.

    Hugs from Snow Country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wide words indeed... We've not got snow yet but its been trying on and off here today. In which case I shall be hunkering down under my blanket and staying in the warm.

      M

      Delete
  4. Stunning Throws,love the Autumn colours.I also am making loads of blankets etc and never keep anything they all go lol.I really must make something for Me.I have blogged my snow pics hee hee.Take care and glad you are feeling better.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lee. I've just started another blanket surprise, surprise it's for a birthday gift so that's another one that won't be adorning the sofa lol. Still no proper snow with us. The odd flake and bit of icing sugar but nothing too drastic and at least the sun has got his hat on today. Will pop over and look at your snow pics instead.

      Mx

      Delete
  5. So pleased you are feeling better.
    I love the throws, especially the Autumn one - such a gorgeous colour mix.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It has been put to good use over the last week, its been so bloomin cold. At least the sun is shining today.

      Mx

      Delete
  6. Lovely throws. Forever Autum is a perfect name for those strong colours. Nature really gets the colour combinations right, doesn't she? Sorry to read that you have been unwell....be kind to yourself and get fully recovered before expecting too much of yourself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eloise. Feeling much like my old self. Still have an irritating cough but that seems to be worse in the evenings when the heating is on. The throws have been in full use both here and at my children's houses. There's nothing like a nice warm blanket to snuggle under on a cold winter night.

      Mx

      Delete
    2. Heating dries the air which doesn't help. I always get what I refer to as my October cough. It lasts about a month and I've had it for 40 years!

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous colour combination on your blanket, I like the willow pattern too. Simple but effective. I always have some crochet on the go and at the moment it's attic 24 woodland one. Having had flu once, I wish you a speedy recovery, Take care Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy, feeling much better. I have Lucy's Moorland pack but not got around to starting it yet. I'm going to try following her pattern but if that proves beyond me then I will go back to the willow pattern.

      Mx

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...