Wednesday 16 January 2019

Belated happy New Year to all



Oh goodness me it seems a long time since I have visited my little blog space.  I do hope you all had a good Christmas and New Year. So here we are 2019 and what will this year have in store for us all I wonder.   Last year was not a particularly good year for us so we were rather hoping that 2019 would fare better.  Unfortunately it's not been the best start with me being laid up in bed with the flu.  Days came and went including my birthday. I can honestly say I have not felt that poorly for a very long time and I'd had the jab. So here we are the third week into the New Year already and hopefully things will only get better from now on.


Like most of us I have already been plotting and planning what craftiness I would like to get up to this year and like most of us just how much of this will actually be achievable will remain to be seen.

You know when you're truly poorly if not one stitch has stitched or one page of a book turned for over a week. When it comes to reading, not much has taken place in the last few weeks, I seemed to loose my zest for reading. I couldn't quite decide if it was the books I had picked to read or just a slump.




I was then given Gail Honeyman's Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine to read, by a colleague from the office who said I wouldn't be able to put it down.  Well that wasn't quite how it went but yes I could see why everyone has been raving about this debut novel and why it has won such high praise and why it won book of the year. 

Eleanor Oliphant leads a simple life. She wears the same clothes to work everyday, eats the same meal deal for lunch every day and buys the same two bottles of vodka to drink every weekend.  Eleanor Oliphant is happy. Nothing is missing from her carefully timetabled existence. Except, sometimes, everything ................  

Eleanor Oliphant  is certainly a very complex young lady who has had a lot to deal with in her 30 years and may not conform to everyone else's norm but who is to say how someone should go about their daily lives.  Life would be very boring if we were all the same. If you've not already picked up a copy to read I would recommend you do.





Fortunately it would seem that my slump or choice in books has improved. This may have been helped by one of my favourite Christmas presents this year. It was given to me by a lovely friend who is also my Yarndale buddy.  She is a demon with a sewing machine and has made me some beautiful things over the years I have known her.   This years Christmas present was a cushion with a difference.   'If I could crochet and read at the same time my life would be perfect'.  Well that's about the strength of it for anyone else who enjoys both reading and hooking or any sort of crafting that requires your full attention really.  It has been suggested that I could go for audio books but I don't think they would hold  my attention the same way as a good book to hold does.  Now the best part about my cushion is that it has this little pouch at the front where you can store your book or kindle maybe the odd ball of wool and a hook and possibly even hide the odd bar of chocolate so no one else will find it and what you can also see peeping out of the top were Christmas presents from the bearded one.  He had asked me what I would like and as I hadn't yet purchased the next two novels by Amanda Prowse I asked if he would get me a copy of Anna and Theo. I have heard great things about these novels and  I have long been a fan of Ms Prowse writing skills.  Some of her novels are better than others but having started Anna this weekend I can tell you I am already three quarters of the way through and not been disappointed in it. Theo is the sequel to Anna and  both books are described as being the two sides of a love story. You know things are not going to run smoothly for this couple but you just hope that some how they will work things out. There is another book to this trilogy titled How to fall in love again - Kitty's Story but from reading the blurb on the back this is someway into the future when Kitty meets up with her old flame Theo in their twilight years.  There aren't any spoilers at this point as there is no mention as to what has happened between Anna and Theo but I get the impression that a lot of tissues as well as a plentiful supply  of chocolate may well be required whilst reading these three.

Now for anyone who knows the bearded one and I as a couple they will tell you we are polls apart when it comes to our likes and dislikes but just occasionally we will end up buying each other the same gift.  Twenty years ago it was almost identical valentines gifts,  this year it was Noel Fitzpatrick Being the Supervet which we had both bought with the intention that when the other one had finished reading it we would then read it too. As I had bought him several books and he didn't have a burning desire for another one so it was decided that I would swap my copy and as Kate Morton, another one of my favourite authors, has a new novel out it was really a no brainer and so Noel was swiftly swapped for The clockmaker's Daughter which at 592 pages will keep me busy for a while, in fact I may just have enough books to get this little dormouse through her winter slumbers and into Spring.




Mx







12 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I keep seeing the Eleanor Oliphant book and meaning to read it. I'll keep a look out for it at the library. I'm a fan of Audible - great when you're decorating and I like it when I'm knitting too. Hope you are fully recovered from the lurgy now. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling a lot less zombie this week which I'm thinking is a good thing. Its rare that I get anything like this so when I do it completely takes the wind out of my sails. I think you may have suggested audio books to me in the past. The bearded one asked for some for christmas as he is in the car a lot especially when he's on the school run so he has been listening to Jeffery Archer of late.

      M

      Delete
  2. Hi,I too was ill for most of December with a mix of stuff going on.Not a good patient and glad to be ok again,do hope you are too.Must get that book it looks interesting especially the title Eleanor Oliphant.I Love that cushion,what a talent your friend has.Happy 2019.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I hate being ill Lee. I just take myself off to bed and stay there until I feel partway human again. Thankfully I don't get many things but when I do it tends to take my feet from under me. I think even D was getting a bit concerned when I was still in bed after 4 days. But feeling much better now just wish I could get rid of the stupid tickle of a cough I seem to have been left with. I am very lucky to have such a talented friend, its such a perfect gift for me.

      Mx

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear you are on the mend. It seems that a lot of people were sick in the last while. I started with some kind of stomach bug in mid December which lasted two weeks. I had a few good days and then on the 27th I started with a cold that I couldn't shift no matter how many otc drugs I took. I finally went to the doctor and found I had a sinus infection and am now on antibiotics. I felt much improved after taking them for one day but must finish the 10 day supply. I have seen the book Gail Honeyman's Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine and I keep debating whether to buy it. I am also a Kate Morton fan and just finished The Clockmaker's Daughter. I did a little review on my blog and so I'll be interested to see what you think of it. I absolutely love your cushion, what a great friend she must be. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suppose it is the season for these things but I usually do quite well at avoiding them. It was a stark reminder that I am getting older and not able to shake these things off as quickly as I once could. You have my sympathies with your sinuses. I have had problems since I was in my teens. I don't think there is any pain like it. Glad you sought medical intervention and you're feeling better. I've not managed much blog reading over the last couple of weeks so I am now playing catch up. I will have to pop over and see what you thought of the Kate Morton's Clockmaker's Daughter. Its such a nice chunky book I am saving it until I've got through my Amanda Prowse collective so I can then immerse myself into it. I absolutely love my cushion and it is being put to good use. I can't fit the Kate Morton one in just yet I think that will take up most of the space.

    Mx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year. I'm sorry to hear that you've been ill, you hear flu banded around when people are suffering from colds but when you've got flu, you know you've got flu. I'm glad you're feeling better now. I was in two minds about reading Eleanor Oliphant. I'd seen it when it was released and put it on my To Read list but then I kept hearing unfavourable reviews so I thought I wouldn't bother. I saw it in a charity shop and picked it up and I'm so pleased I did because I loved it. I've read all the Amanda Prowse books you mention and enjoyed them, Theo was my favourite of the three. I've never listened to an audio book either, I feel the same as you, I don't think it would hold my attention as reading for myself does. Perhaps I'll give one a go and find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too Jo. D asked for some audio books for Christmas as he can spend a lot of time in the car waiting to pick up the teenager so then it makes sense but I think I would still prefer a book. I am enjoying Anna and I've got about 50 pages left to go so if Theo is even better I shall look forward to that. I got so behind with my Amanda Prowse books as I like to have the book rather than download to my kindle and I think all three came out on the 4th October and I just hadn't got around to ordering them. I think she's bought out another two since then, the coordinates of love and the girl in the corner so I have those on my list of books to purchase with my amazon voucher I received for my birthday from a friend. So I should have completely caught up by the spring or thereabouts. I think the Kate Morton book has had mixed reviews as she does flit between present day and yester year and for some it gets very confusing especially if there are a lot of characters but on the whole she is still one of my favourite authors so I shall look forward to snuggle in at night with a cuppa and may be a biscuit or two and immersing myself into this latest offering.

      Mx

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year to you too. I have had (still lingering) the flu type bug since November and it really is getting me down. Cold mornings waiting for a train that is cancelled don't help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it certainly seems to be lingering. What a nightmare with the trains.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year to you :)
    There does seem to be a lot of nasty bugs and viruses going around at the moment.
    Here's to a better end to January.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There certainly does Jan. I've still got a really annoying cough but feeling much better than I did that's for sure. I felt 156 never mind 56 lol.

      Mitzi

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...