Sunday 17 March 2019

The Clockmaker's Daughter - Kate Morton


My father called me Birdie;
he said I was his little bird. Others
knew me as his child, the clockmaker's
daughter. Edward called me his
muse, his destiny.

My real name, no one remembers.
The truth about that summer,
no one else knows.

In the summer of 1862, a group of young artists led by the passionate and talented Edward Radcliffe descends upon Birchwood Manor on the banks of the Upper Thames. Their plan to spend a secluded summer month in a haze of inspiration and creativity. But by the time their stay is over, one women has been shot dead while another has disappeared, a priceless heirloom is missing, and Edward Radcliffe's life is in ruins. 

Over one hundred and fifty years later, Elodie Winslow, a young archivist in London uncovers a leather satchel containing two seemingly unrelated items: a sepia photograph of an arresting looking women in Victorian clothing and an artist's sketchbook containing the drawing of a twin gabled house on the bend of  a river.

Why does Birchwood Manor feel so familiar to Elodie? Who is the beautiful woman in the photograph? And will she ever give up her secrets?

Intricately layered and told by multiple voices across time, this is a kaleidoscope story of murder, mystery and thievery, of art, love and loss. And flowing through its pages like a river, is the voice of a women who stands outside time, whose name has been forgotten by history but who has watched it all unfold: Birdie Bell, the clockmaker's daughter.


....................................

Elodie Winslow is an archivist she finds a sketchbook within a leather satchel and discovers a sketch of a beautiful young women and house, a house she knows well from her a childhood, a story passed down within her family from generation to generation a story she thought was just fairy tale. Elodie decides she needs to find out what is her families connection is to this house, now a museum, to try and find out who is the women within the sketchbook and was it she who pulled the trigger that left a young women dead and was it she who stole a precious heirloom, the Radcliffe Blue diamond. 


I have read all Kate Morton's novels and always enjoyed her style of writing moving between the past and the present weaving her story as she goes. There are many characters all of which have a connection to Birchwood Manor. The clockmaker's daughter is written using a narrator a spirit that has never left Birchwood Manor who knows all its secrets including what happened that summer in 1862. 

Unfortunately for me this was not one of Ms Morton's best novels. Normally I am gripped from the start and can't wait to be able to find time to pick up where I had left off to be able to indulge in more of the story she is setting. For me the clockmaker's daughter became a little disjointed with too many characters and the usual seamless flow moving from one time frame to another just didn't seem to happen. I loved the fact that the story was being told by a spirit locked within the house for the past 150 years, but it became a little unbelievable that a spirit would of kept up with modern technology and would know what a mobile phone was never mind a laptop and how to communicate by email.  

Sadly for me not one of her best.................

Mx

14 comments:

  1. I too am a huge Kate Morton fan but I think we chit chatted about this book once before and I said this was definitely not my favourite K.M. book. Hopefully her next one will be better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we did Janice and I think you were right about this one. Here’s hoping her next one is back to the standard we have come to expect.

      Mx

      Delete
  2. I have to agree with you. I love Morton’s books too but as you say this was a little far fetched. I’m sure her next will be better :) B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope so. It would be a shame if she’s peaked too soon. I always looked forward to her books being released. This one D bought me for Christmas off my wish list.

      Mx

      Delete
  3. Although I like her books, this one sounds a bit complicated for me - I tend to lose track if there are too many characters. Maybe I'll give this one a miss. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many characters and some didn’t need to be in there to be honest. Here’s hoping her next one will be better.

      Mx

      Delete
  4. I haven't read Kate Morton's books for a while. The last was The Lake House in 2016. I think this is because although they are pleasant they weren't grabbing my attention enough to want to read more of her books when I have so many on my 'to be read' list. Thanks for the review and I wish you a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes unfortunately both the lake house and this one seem to have gone off the boil a bit I do hope she gets back to her original style of writing.

      Mx

      Delete
  5. Hello M - the title appealed to me and so I was glad to get the low down from yourself - obviously an aficionado. I wonder then if you'd mind recommending her best book to me please? I am always looking for good reads. Thanks very much - Alison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you Alison - me an aficionado who would thought it😊 The house at Riverton was her debut novel and won a Richard & Judy award. It was good especially as her debut novel but I think my favourites in order are The Forgotten Garden, The Secret Keeper and The Distant Hours. They all had me gripped and a few tears were shed which is why I am a little disappointed that she seems to have moved her writing in a slightly different direction I hope when she gets to her next writing junction that she’ll take the path that leads her back to what she does best. Hope you find them and more importantly enjoy them. If not you may take back my aficionado status😢📚

      Mx

      Delete
  6. I haven't read anything by Kate Morton but I've often read reviews or picked up one of her books as I do enjoy this style of writing, slipping between two time periods, but still haven't indulged. Perhaps I should give one a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for either the Forgotten garden or the secret keeper Jo and see what you think.

      Mx

      Delete
  7. Ive also enjoyed Kate Mortons books (the first three especially so) but agree, this latest one didn't reach the same standard. What a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It started off ok albeit a bit slow in places but then went on a bit of a tangent. I like her early books so I hope she goes back to that style of writing again.

      Mx

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...