Friday 15 March 2019

Spring is here!!!





So finally February has come to an end so too the last few days of Winter, although you wouldn't think so judging by the cold , wet and windy weather we are having at the moment.  We had had such glorious weather towards the end of February that even Marjorie Mountfield had been let out of the shed and given a twirl around the lawns to give them their first cut of the season.




When I look back at the photographs of this time last year when we were knee deep in snow I couldn't believe the weather we were being blessed with. That was until last Sunday morning when we woke to you guessed it.


Oh my goodness snow. This had not been forecast but thankfully it did not last.


 One of the things I love about living here is the diverse bird life. There is nothing more exciting than spotting a new bird in the garden and working out what it is.  I have a couple of very good bird books but sometimes you have to have some idea of what you think it it might be in order to look into it further.  This bird was one of a flock that had been coming into the garden over several days.  Eventually I sent a message to Spring Watch, yes they are there all year round and always happy to help but when the show isn't on air it can take then a couple of days to get back to you but better that than not knowing at all. They confirmed this to be a Fieldfare also known as a Winter Thrush, typically seen when the weather is colder and food more scarce. and apparently they are quite partial to apple and love to feast on them.



This morning there was great excitement as we descended our stairs to see out of the window this Sparrow Hawk sitting on the hedge.  I thought I had seen one on the fence post a couple of days ago but it flew off before I could get a good look. This morning it was back but rather than visiting the bird feeders I rather think it was thinking more a long the lines of sparrow for breakfast. The sparrows live in the hedge it is perched on and in the spring it is an array of bird song and becomes the local maternity ward, so much so that when the hedge grows over the spring/summer we can't cut it back in fear of disturbing the birds and by the time we get to cut it back in the autumn it looks quite unruly. 



Now just before I sign off this came up on my facebook feed and the person who posted it could as it says spot 4 faces. I spotted 10 so for a bit of fun on a cold, wet & windy Friday why not see how many faces you can spot.

Mx

4 comments:

  1. You do not want a sparrow hawk in your garden.It will kill/frighten off the smaller birds but I do not know how you dter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my I pad froze!It should have said "deter them"

      Delete
    2. We’ve lived here for two years and it’s the first time we’ve seen one in the garden. Our sparrows are pretty tough little cookies. They all hide in the hedge where the bird feeder is and take it in turns to visit the feeders whilst others are on look out duty. We have kestrels, buzzards and kites all around us but only the kestrel has ever come into the garden and then only once or twice to our knowledge.

      M x

      Delete
  2. Marjorie is looking very smart in that top photo. I'm rather regretting not cutting our grass when we had the chance; it's rather unkempt looking at the moment. Love the bird photos and yes 10 faces (although it took me a while!). Enjoy the weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...