Saturday 30 November 2019

Festival of Trees


Earlier in the year I found and joined a local crafting group.  We are made up of a group of 12 ladies most of which all come from the same village but as I live in the back of beyond I don't. That said I have been made to feel very welcome.  We have undertaken a couple of interesting projects this year. Firstly making twiddle quilts and crocheted blankets for a local nursing home who were very appreciative of our efforts.

Secondly we decided we would have a tree in the Festival of Trees that is held in St. Mary's Church in Melton Mowbray which is one of two local towns to me.  Melton Mowbray of course is most famous as being the  home of the pork pie.

St Mary's church is a Grade I medieval church set in the centre of Melton Mowbray. There is a whole raft of information about the church here on good old wikipedia.  I have never been to this festival before but was looking forward to seeing the results of the restoration that has been taking place.

As a group we are a talented bunch with some knitters, some crocheters, some crosstitchers and some sewers and we all set about making something for our tree.

Being set in a church I felt it was only right to have a little choir boy present.

It wouldn't be Christmas of without Father Christmas.
















It couldn't be Christmas without a Christmas Tree

And finally I loved this little bear all dressed up for Christmas sitting patiently waiting for Santa to call.
















The four little cross stitches came from a magazine I have had hidden away in my stash for probably the best part of twenty years. Sometimes you can find these little gems on ebay, etsy or through ABE books if wanted to try and find a copy. As you can see it was released by Cross Stitch magazine and is titled Celebrations in cross stitch and the date is February 1996. I have made a few of the charts for birthing announcements and birthday cards but I had never made any of the Christmas charts. When the group decided back in September to have a tree this year I thought it would give me plenty of time to make up four of these little cross stitches to hang on the tree. And once the festival is over they will return home with me to hang on my own Christmas tree.



Image may contain: christmas tree, plant, tree and outdoor
Set up was on Wednesday night and here is our little tree all set up and ready for visitors to start arriving on Friday to view all the submissions for this years festival. 

The festival runs from Friday 29th November to Tuesday 3rd December. All the details are above if anyone is nearer enough to be able to pop along and the postcode for your satnav is LE13 1AE

There are some amazing trees there this year and I took far too many photographs to add them all to my blog page. I have however added them to my Lazy Days and Sundays Facebook page here  for anyone who may be interested. and is too far away to go in person.






I think Christmas is now officially well and truly on its way and is there anyone else who is slightly panicking that they will not be ready this year or would that just be me?

Mx

Image may contain: christmas tree, plant and indoor



2 comments:

  1. Your tree decorations are gorgeous - how cute is that little teddy!
    The tree itself looks great and I'm sure it will be a very enjoyable festival. You've reminded me, that's something else to add to my December activities list. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the trees are really spectacular especially as some have been decorated by children. The festival is on until tomorrow and I believe there have been queues of people waiting to get into the little church some waiting for over an hour. At least it wasn't too cold this weekend. I'll be going back on Tuesday evening to help take it all down sadly but I'm sure we will apply to have a tree again next year as we have all enjoyed it so much.

    Mx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...