Sunday 10 November 2019

Peter Pan Child's Aran Jacket


When I wrote my post about the Traditional Hooded Baby Jacket  I had made for my little grandson I ended with saying that I was now making him an Aran jacket that I used to make for my children when they were small. Well this is it. The pattern is by Wendy and was originally made in their Peter Pan Toddler Aran. The pattern is still available on some vintage sites. You can still find a copy by putting  Wendy Peter Pan Aran Jacket pattern number P734 in your search engine.  The pattern covers the age range 1-5 years and comes in sizes 51-56cm or 20-26"  chest in old money. 


As promised this is a photograph of my boys wearing the round neck version of the pattern back in 1993 when they were 2 and 5 years old. Freddie's daddy is the little one at the top.  I first made this little Aran jacket 30 years ago and I have lost count of the amount of times I have made it since. Over the years I have made all three versions for them and for friends and family's children and it never seems to date.  Its now classed as vintage which must mean my children are vintage too, who knew. 






Fast forward to 2019 and here is my finished jacket for Freddie in the round neck version. It will be a little big on him at the moment but will keep him warm as we go into the colder months of winter and into the spring. None of mine particularly liked wearing coats and this little jacket, especially in the hooded version was  great to be able to put on if you were travelling in the car from A - B.









The wool I used is an aran weight by Woolcraft 25% pure wool and 75% premium acrylic and comes in 400g balls and produced in 38 beautiful colours.                                                                                                                     Unfortunately the colourway I had in my stash is no longer available but they produce a similar colourway 810 Denim which I have also used to make this pattern.


And the best bit is that if you are knitting for a little one there is sometimes enough wool left over to make a second garment. So of course I decided that I would make another Traditional Hooded Baby Jacket by Naturkinder












And this week I received a lovely photo from Freddie's mum to show him wearing the grey version I made for him and look it fits perfectly.















Keep warm & safe

Mx

4 comments:

  1. When my boys were small (now 39 and 40) a friend of my mum used to knit little hooded jackets for them, very similar to yours. I bet I had about 20 of them in every colour over when they were between. 6 months and six years! What a nice memory this has brought back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the older patterns are still as nice today as they were when we first made them aren't they Eloise. Even my son said I recognize that pattern and he's not the most observant person in the world. I am really enjoying making some of my old patterns for Freddie. I don't know that I would be able to find a picture of my own children wearing every one I ever made for them but I knew I had this one tucked away. I can even tell you it was taken at Flambards in Cornwall. Funny how some things stick with us more than others isn't it.

      Mx

      Delete
  2. Lucky Freddie and how happy he looks to have a nanna to knit lovely warm jackets for him. Arans never go out of style. The wool/acrylic blends are so good and hardwearing. Sadly there are no little ones for me to knit for anymore, they're all grown up :( Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've waited along time to have a small person to knit for again and I must say I am really enjoying going back through patterns to make for him and it's nice that they appreciate all the things I make.

      Mx

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...