Sunday 17 May 2020

Oh for the love of gluten free quiche & other ramblings

Good morning lovely blog land friends. Here we are again coming to the end of week eight of lockdown and about to approach week nine.  We all seem to be doing pretty well with all this apart from starting to get a little desperate to get my hair cut as I'm starting to look a little bit like the hag in fairy tales and D is starting to look a little like Father Christmas with his grey hair and beard. I think if it does go on much longer that I may have to get D to attack  mine with the garden shears.

So what have I got to tell you this week.  Well at this time of year I am a bit of a lover of quiche. and I have lots of variations of fillings and I have three gorgeous alternative pastries I use as well as the traditional short crust pastry.

Now when it comes to pastry what I do have to tell you is that my friends who are wheat free or Ceoliac have been trying the cheese pastry and the potato pastry and using gluten free flour and find that the potato or cheese bind the dough together and make it much easier to use and they have been sending me photographs of their achievements and here are the results of their labours.



I think its great when you can share a bit of know how with others. One lady said she loves quiche but hadn't had one for five years since she was diagnosed as ceoliac. She also said it was a lovely thing to make with her two boys as part of their home schooling which I thought was fabulous.  Now they tell me its a bit like playing with play dough but it does work especially if you roll it out between two pieces of cling film.



Which ever pastry you decide to try you will find them both here


Most of my fillings are made up of

300mls of  double/heavy cream
4oz cheddar cheese
3 eggs
1 small onion
seasoning


When your are ready to bake your quiche preheat the oven to 180/350/Gas Mark 4 not forgetting to put a baking tray in the oven at the same time so that its nice and hot when you add your quiche.  This will help cook the bottom of your quiche as there is no pre baking.

Having added your pastry to the quiche tin/flan dish  keep it to one side and don't trim the edges at this point.

When you're ready to add your filling prick the bottom of your pastry case with a fork as this will help make sure it is cooked all the way through during baking.

Now back to your filling start by sweating off the onion in a little butter until it is translucent and then put in a sieve over a bowl and put to one side to drain to make sure any residual butter has drained off or this will affect your filling when you come to bake it.

In the meantime you can grate your 4oz of cheese and put to one side. Make the custard by adding the three eggs to 300mls of cream and whisking together

Once your onion is drained add to the bottom of the pastry case
Sprinkle the grated cheese over the onion
At this point I normally add a little cracked black pepper over the cheese.

Now you can keep to the traditional quiche and just add the custard at this point or you can add an extra topping.










At the moment its a bit of a
ready steady cook in our house and I tend to look and see what is left in the salad draw.

Sometimes I will add tomatoes halved.





This time I have made an asparagus one using the cheese pastry , just remember to snap off the woody ends, and bell pepper using the potato pastry


Whatever you choose place it on top of your cheese and then pour the custard mixture over the top

Now you can trim off the excess pastry and you're ready for the oven. At this point I will grate a little nutmeg over the top of the mixture but this is optional I just like the taste.

Place your quiche on the preheated baking tray and bake in the oven for 25 -30 minutes until it is golden brown and the filling is just set but with a slight wobble. 

Remove from the oven and leave to go cold in the the tin.  When you are ready to serve if you have used a loose bottom tin you can remove it and put on a fancy plate if you so wish, cake stands are not just for cakes. 

As with all the quiches I make they are great made as an individual quiche and you can freeze them or you can reduce the quantity of ingredients so if you are the only gluten free member of the household you can still enjoy a delicious quiche the same as everyone else.    You just follow your recipe as described but add to individual tart cases and reduce the baking time to 15-20 minutes or  until golden brown. 


And remember these pastries are not just for quiche they work equally as well as a pie crust.

Take care one & all

Mx

















6 comments:

  1. Snap! I made quiche this week but used homemade potato hash brown instead of pastry and courgette and eggs for the filling.

    I like the idea of your potato pastry so will try that next month after I receive my next supermarket delivery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use it as a pie crust as well Eileen. My grandmother used to make it for her pies. She said it used to bulk up the pastry during the war when flour was a little hard to come by. That sounds a little familiar at the moment doesn't it.

      Mx

      Delete
  2. It sounds delicious. Unfortunately DH isn't a fan so I just buy myself a small one once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh that's a shame. My children aren't fans either they don't like the fact you eat it cold for the most part.

      Mx

      Delete
  3. I love a quiche and seeing your photos and reading your post makes me want to abandon work prematurely (I am on lunch break now) and get baking! I have a bunch of asparagus in the fridge that calls out to be in a quiche!

    I might also book an appointment with the garden shears... my short sharp hair cut has turned into an unruly mop of hair that curls on one side and stick up on the other...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love making quiche its so simple and there's always leftovers for me to take to work for my lunch. Not sure you should leave work early though don't want to get you into trouble. Did you get your cheesecake for your birthday? My hair is very curly but as it gets longer the curls unfurl due to the weight. Its been up in a pony tail or put in a clip all week to try and keep it in some sort of order.

      Mx

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...