Thursday 20 October 2022

Thanks for the memory

 



We had the biggest thunder storm this morning, and for a while we had no power,  it was cold wet and very dark for about an hour.  On these kinds of days I want something comforting that makes you feel like you're wrapped in a comfy blanket when you're eating it. 

Life's a funny old thing isn't it.  Recently an old acquaintance got in touch via face book. Someone I hadn't seen or spoken to in nearly 30 years.  We got to talking about the old days as you do, although his recollections were somewhat different to mine and was surprised when he realised I had got married just three years after we went our separated ways which he considered not very long. 

We have taken very different life paths but It did spark one memory though from 40 years ago. I hadn't been very well with the flu and looked and felt awful and really couldn't face eating much and he presented me with homemade traditional rice pudding, but instead of making it in the oven he had made it in the slow cooker so that it would slowly cook across the day whilst he was at work.   I have to say it tasted absolutely delicious and the nearest thing to the one in the tin and nothing like the claggy mess  we used to get at school and was definitely what the doctor ordered. 

From that time onwards I always made my rice pudding in the slow cooker.  I hadn't made it since my daughter left home as D & youngest aren't the biggest desert lovers but even they have have become a fan. 


If you would like to have ago at making this really easy  comfort food then here goes. 


Small can of evaporated milk

50g caster sugar

1tsp vanilla extract

milk


Pour the evaporated milk into a jug and then top up with enough milk to make 1 litre. 

Add the sugar, rice and vanilla extract to the slow cooker

pour the milk mixture over the rice, sugar and vanilla extract 

Cook on slow for 6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours 

Stir occasionally to make sure the rice doesn't stick together in a lump at the bottom of the slow cooker. 



Thankfully the power came back on and stayed on and there has been a rice pudding slowly bubbling away all day and I can't wait to sit with a bowl this evening. 


Mx




 

2 comments:

  1. I am suffering through Covid but think I can gather enough strength to see if I can find the ingredients to have a go at this! Ill let you know because rice pudding in my house is normally a baked on. It's the law. My beloved Nanna taught me how to make it. I've never been a fan of the famous branded tinned rice pud but I will give this slow cooker one a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are feeling better Rachel. I had covid earlier in the year and was so grateful that I had my jabs I wouldn't of wanted it without. I hope you got to try the rice pudding and enjoyed it as much as we did.

    Mx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...