Thursday 22 March 2018

A Hazy Shade of Winter Afghan Ta-dah moment

Ta-Dah moment

I thought you might like to see one of the projects I have recently completed during my sabbatical from blogland.



This is our first winter here in the Wolds the colours within the surrounding countryside are really pretty stunning although the amount of snow we've had in the last two months have really tested my resolve, even if it is quite beautiful when its first on the ground all crisp and white



I planned to make another blanket for my daughter's birthday. The last one I made for her was for her 21st birthday and she has now just turned 24.  I don't know where the years have gone it still feels just like yesterday when I bought her home from the hospital, and there was snow on the ground that day too.




These days I have adopted the use of  yarn pegs, the brain child of Lucy of Attic 24,  when planning any big projects. It keeps my mind focused and stops me from adding more and more colours ad infinitum, which can spoil the overall effect you initially intended.  I usually have a theme in mind, in this instance I was looking for colours that remind me of winter.  I can then be found quite happily whiling away the hours playing with colour until I feel I have the right palette.

The yarn I have used is Stylecraft Special DK using the following colours.

Graphite 1063
Grey 1099
Silver 1203
Burgundy 1035
Claret 1123
Lipstick 1246
Pale Rose 1080
Dark Brown 1004
Walnut 1054
Mocha 1064
Parchment 1218
White 1001

There are a total of 120 blocks which took 200g of each colour with an extra 200g in graphite to join the blocks and make the border. The cost of the wool is approximately £52 or $65.  It  measures 58 x 70 inches which fits across a double bed. My intention was to make it  a little bigger  but I was a little up against it time wise.

All my blankets are given names whether it be after a book, a place or a song and for anyone of a certain age you may remember the song 'A Hazy Shade of Winter' written by Paul Simon. Originally recorded in 1968 when part of a duo Simon & Garfunkel before they split up and went solo and then  later released by The Bangles in 1987. Anyone below the age of 30  you can listen to it here and I'll just sit here feeling very old. 




I usually have a good idea of what stitch or block I want to use to make my projects even before I have thought of a theme or chosen the colours.  In this instance it was Jan Eaton's Willow block pattern from her book 200 Crochet Blocks which you can find here in the UK or here in the USA I had seen so many beautiful blankets made using this block and wanted to try it for myself for a long time.  



I am really quite in love with  my 'A Hazy Shade of Winter'Afghan, in fact I have already made a second one as a birthday gift for my colleague at work, who has not had the best of years last year and I wanted to make her something that was just for her and as she had so admired my daughters  whilst in process it seemed to be just the thing to do.




  I get the feeling I will be making another one of these before too long but this time it will be all for me.

That's me for now

Take care & stay safe

Mx





6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful blanket and such fabulous colours. I've got that book but I haven't given any of the blocks a go, I'm more into knitting than crochet at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s funny how we go through phases of knitting or crocheting and then I throw cross stitch into the mix. I hope you have a lovely weekend with all the family home x

      Delete
    2. Me too, it's shocking isn't it. I really must get my copy out, Cathy x

      Delete
    3. It's a beautiful blanket Mitzi, I love the pattern and the colours, Cathy x

      Delete
  2. Now that makes me want to learn to crochet other things besides granny squares x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...