Monday 26 March 2018

The cake of many guises

With Easter upon us once more and many expecting family to descend upon you I thought I would share with you one of my favourite cakes to make as it is so versatile.

 I love making this cake. 
 Its adapted from the I can't believe you made that cake, cake by Lorraine Pascal, but I like to call it the cake of many guises.  




Its been a Christmas cake




 It's been an anniversary cake


and it's been an Easter cake


What you will need

Equipment
2 x 8cm sandwich tins or if like me you are useless at slicing cakes in half then you could purchase a set of layer tins usually used for rainbow cakes. A palette knife and a cake board and a nice ribbon to finish it off.

Ingredients
280g Butter or margarine
220g Self raising flour
60g Cocoa powder
280g Caster Sugar
5 large eggs
2tsp Baking powder
35mls milk
1dsp of hazel nut spread
2 packets of chocolate fingers

For the buttercream
250g butter, softened
500g icing sugar
100g dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids), melted and slightly cooled.

Method
  • Pre heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
  • Cut circles of baking parchment and line the base of the tins. 
  • Sieve the flour twice this helps to keep the cake light.
  • Put the sieved flour, butter, caster sugar, eggs, baking powfer, cocoa powder, hazel nut spread in a bowl or food processor and mix until combined. 
  • Divide the mixture evenly between the tins and make a slight dip in the middle as this will help to achieve an even rise. 
  • Bake two at time on the middle shelf for approximately 18 minutes, until the sponge is risen and cooked  and springy to the touch.
  • Allow the cakes to cool and then turn out onto a cooling tray.
  • Once completely cooled if using two sandwich tins you will need to slice the cakes in half horizontally to give you your four layers. 
  • Allow the cakes to cool completely before adding the buttercream.. 
  • To make the buttercream icing put the butter and icing sugar into a bowl and whisk together until the mixture begins to go fluffy. Add the cooled melted chocolate and whisk for a further 2 minutes.
  • Sandwich the layer together with a 1cm layer of buttercream. Spread half the remaining buttercream all over the top and sides of the cake, making it as smooth as possible.
  • Gently push the chocolate fingers vertically onto the sides of the cake, positioning them as straight as possible and making sure they touch the bottom.
  • At this point you can finish off by putting fruit such as raspberries on top or if like my family you have more of a sweet tooth then the possibilities are endless.  I have used maltesers, grated chocolate and of course mini eggs but you could also use smarties, chocolate buttons or if feeling rather extravagant you could even use Ferrero Rocher.

I hope you have as much fun making this cake as I do and its great if you're wanting to impress.
 I am no Mary Berry when it comes to making cakes but you can hide an awful lot with a packet of chocolate fingers and some buttercream icing.

Happy Easter to all

Take care & stay safe

Mx

8 comments:

  1. They all look fabulous and very appetising, especially the Easter one with all those mini eggs adorning the top, though I'm quite partial to Malteasers too. I bet they went down a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem I found was that the eggs kept disappearing off the top Jo. But nobody would own up as to who had taken them therefore it must have been the pixies and fairies who live at the bottom of the garden.
      Hope you're enjoying your time with your family x

      Delete
  2. It is a very elegant looking cake! I imagine they all tasted great! Beautiful culinary work! Thank you for your visit and comment! May your week be lovely! We are covered in snow and still snowing the whole day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela. We are forecast more snow but that seems to change on a daily basis. Today it's raining so I'm hoping that the snow may have passed us by.
      Mitzi

      Delete
  3. Love it, it would be VERY popular round here, in any of its guises. I am writing it down in my notebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fantastic CJ I hope your family enjoys it and hope nobody pinches the eggs off the top.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  4. It looks fabulous! I bet it was as delicious as it looks! I’m going to have a look at that book I love her. Imagine looking like get AND cooking like that!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennie thank you for coming to visit me in my little blogland space. I hope Boo is as always keeping you and MLN entertained. The cakes always go down well only trouble being the malteezers and mini eggs tend to disappear and its never anyone in the house so its obviously the pixies and the fairies who live in the garden taking liberties again.
      Mitzi

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...