Tuesday 3 April 2018

Scones


No matter what way you pronounce it 


no matter whether you are a cream or jam first, scones are just quintessentially English and taste delicious. It was always interesting growing up as mums family were Cornish and my dads Devonian, you can imagine the debate that went on as whether you put the jam on first or cream. I am definitely governed by the seasons as to what I cook and bake. Even though the snow keeps coming we are now officially in Spring and therefore it will be scones, muffins, breads and the occasional cake throughout the coming months. I am no Mary Berry when it comes to baking but one things for certain I make a decent scone and I thought I would share my recipe with you. 
This recipe if for plain scones 
and you will need 

225g (8oz) self raising flour
A pinch of salt
1 tsp of baking powder
25g (1oz) caster sugar
finely grated zest and juice  of 1 lemon
40g (11/2 oz) butter, diced
150ml (1/4 pint) milk
Beaten egg or milk to glaze

  • Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/gas mark 7. 
  • Grease and flour a baking sheet and put to one side
  • Sift the flour (I sift it twice), baking powder and salt into a bowl 

  • Add the butter and rub together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Now if you are like me and have warm hands when it comes to mixing I have found this little gadget that mixes everything together without overworking, and I found it in the supermarket for not much money.
  • Add the caster sugar and lemon zest and combine the mixture together with enough milk to form a soft dough.




  • Turn out onto a floured work surface and knead gently, then roll out until about 2cm (1/4") thick.using a 3" cutter fluted or straight, dip the cutter into flour so that the dough does not stick and cut the dough into rounds and place on to the baking sheet leaving space between each one for them to expand during baking. 






      • Brush the tops with beaten egg or milk to glaze, then bake for approximately 10-12 minutes or until well risen and golden brown.
      Now if your oven is like mine and doesn't always give an even bake turn the baking tray round part-way through the baking process. This helps to give an even rise and even colour, and unlike cakes scones do not dip in the middle if you do this. Just remember even the best bakers in our supermarkets get odd shaped scones, they just sell them off cheap at the end of the day, where as I say it just adds character a bit like misshaped vegetables. They all taste the same no matter what shape they are.
      • Once baked remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. 
      If by some slim chance these last more than the day they were baked I generally find they will last for 3-4 days if kept in an air tight container. 

      And there you have it 
      I hope you enjoy not only making but eating whatever way you serve them

      Take care & stay safe

      Mx




      8 comments:

      1. Those scones look delicious. This is the second post I've read today about scones and they're making my mouth water. I like my jam on first, I think that's the Devonian way. I've just read your last post, what a beautiful house you've moved to, some consolation for leaving the cottage you loved so much behind. Lovely photo of the doggies.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. They don't last long in our house and there is only the three of us now Jo. I always get confused which way round so tend to do one of each as I still have my mum and dad's voices saying that't the wrong way round. The house is lovely and I know once I get stuck in the garden will be as lovely as the garden was at the Willows just on a much larger scale. I think D must have bribed the boys to sit still long enough to have their photo taken it's definitely a rarity especially for Rufus who cannot sit still unless a sleep.

          Mitzi

          Delete
      2. Yum! I'm a scone as in 'own' person and I used to prefer jam before cream. My youngest then converted me! xx

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Either way they don't last very long in our house they are just so nice to have with a cup of tea.

          Mitzi

          Delete
      3. Lovely scones, I've never used lemon zest in them before. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for the tip, Cathy x

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. My Nanna used to put lemon juice in but I think you get a better flavour with the lemon zest.

          Mitzi

          Delete
      4. Although I always say jam and cream....I am a Devonian and do cream then jam...however I do have rather a heavy Cornish ancestry from my Fathers Mother...she was an amazing baker...in her 90's still using a range...I wish I had known her when old enough to ask questions, oh and those scones look amazing. x

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Whichever way you like them they are delicious and lovely with a nice pot of tea......

          Delete

      Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...