Sunday 29 April 2018

The sun has got his hat on


For weeks I have been waiting for Spring to finally arrive. I've been kidding myself by having daffodils, of which who knew there were so many varieties.


Last weekend  the sun did have his hat on. This being the case meant that Majorie Mountfield could come out of hibernation. I'd never needed such a lawn mower before moving here the grass areas were always a bit of postage stamp and needed no more than a flymo.



As you can see that is not the case here. When we first moved here just over a year a go the bearded one was not so keen on the purchase of Marjorie but after spending 5 hours helping me do all three lawns with a flymo he seemed to very quickly think that maybe Marjorie wouldn't be such an extravagance after all. She did take a bit of getting used to it felt very strange the first time I sat on her to drive around the garden but I wouldn't be without her now. The gardens here really are a blank canvas and my intention over time is to plant it up to make it into more of a garden than a paddock. 


With having these four fiendish devils our first priority was to make sure the garden was dog proofed



Rufus is quite an accomplished escapologist given half the chance.



I've made a start on the one side of the front garden 


This is a photograph of the hydrangeas I planted last year but with all plants they are taking their time to bed in and grow and haven't quite sprung back into life yet after the hard winter we had, but that just means I can take more photo's to share with you as things start look more like a garden and less like a paddock. 


We have a lot of bird life visit us here at the farm house. It always tickles me the way the sparrows queue up on the front gate to take it in turns to come to the feeder. What doesn't tickle me is the little deposits they leave behind. 



I managed to find some these planters in the sale and purchased six to sit on top of the gates to see if this would deter them. I set about starting the laborious job of creosoting the fences last weekend which included three gates out of six and once dry popped the planters on top.  So far the sparrows are avoiding them and my hope is once I have planted them up it will continue to stop them.  


Last weekend also saw the return of the swallows. They are what I call time wasters as I could watch these birds swoop over the garden and surrounding fields for hours. 


They had nests up in the eves of the farm house last year and D even had to rescue one from the drain pipe hopper when it fell in and couldn't get out. The mother kept flying up to us just missing our heads and screeching in desperation until we realised what the matter was.  When D climbed up on the step ladders to get it out she kept flying right up to his face as if to warn him not to hurt her baby.  It was a bit of a reluctant fledgling but after D let it go she kept coming back and flying round us as if to thank him. It was really quite a thing to see so I am looking forward to seeing them raise their families again this year.




When I know the weather forecast is in our favour,  and the likelihood is that I will be able to spend most of the day in the garden, I always try and get something prepared that doesn't take a lot of effort when we're finished for the day and come in feeling a little weary and ready for a hot bath or shower. I have always made quiche, it's something my mother taught me to make but she also taught me two alternatives to making conventional short crust pastry!!



This weekend unfortunately the sun has not got his hat on and it has continued as it has all week and been non-stop rain which means creosoting the rest of the fences is clearly not going to happen. Instead I have put the time to good use and tried to be a domestic goddess and clean the house, sort the washing you know all those boring things we have to do. But yesterday I had a very enjoyable afternoon with my pasta machine and made homemade mushroom and spinach lasagna and sun-dried tomato frocaccia for dinner which I hadn't made for sometime.  It can be a bit of a faff getting the pasta machine out etc but if I could have make this blog have smellavision I tell you the smells coming from my kitchen were out of this world. Even if the bearded one when asked what he thought of my bread asked if I had bought it at the supermarket that morning. I couldn't decide whether I should be insulted or flattered but the majority on my facebook and instagram accounts felt I should be flattered that he thought it was that good so on this occasion I will let him off.   I will of course get around to sharing the recipes for all of these at some point soon. 

Since returning to blogland my posts do seem to be a little foody but in the background I am still stitching and crocheting or knitting and will have lots of projects to show you before too long. In the meantime I hope you are enjoying the recipes I have shared certainly my Grandmothers Iced Tea Bread has proved very popular. If you've had a go at making it please share a photo on my facebook page or Instagram or even on your blog I would love to see it. My grandmother was a big feature in our lives she was known to wear a pinny at all times, they did that in those days didn't they I'm sure I'm not alone in this memory, but she was also known to be the nanny with the pinny of many pockets whatever you needed it was bound to be somewhere in one of those pockets. 



I will leave you with this little blue tit sitting on the feeder in twilight it was taken a few weeks ago now but is one of my favourites. I am still filling the feeders most days at the moment as it is still slim pickings for the birds at the moment I had to wait until this little chap had taken himself off to bed before I could go out and fill it up again.  I didn't want to disturb him he looked so chilled. 

Take care & stay safe

Mx 




8 comments:

  1. That sunshine seems a long time ago now, it's miserable and dull here, though we haven't had rain this weekend so that's something. I wouldn't fancy cutting all that grass with a Flymo, mind you, I leave the cutting of our little lawn to Mick, that's his domain. Awww, lovely to see all the boys, I bet they love having so much space to play in. What a wonderful photo of the swallows, it's so lucky you were on hand to rescue the baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No the sunshine is now but a fleeting memory Jo it rained for most of last week and this morning doesn't look as though its showing any improvement in fact the heating has been back on. The boys love the garden but we have a pair of Buzzards nesting nearby so we don't let them out there unsupervised as there is the potential that they may take Rufus for a hare or rabbit as he's about the same size and they have been known to take small dogs. D has a back condition which would not be helped by the jiggling about on the sit and ride so she is all mine to play with. He will get the flymo out and do the smaller areas at the front though. The garden is my domain which means I get to plant what I like. The only request he has made is not to loose the view at the back so I'll need to find plants that grow to about 4ft there but I can plant buddleia around the edges to attract the bumbles and butterflies.

      Delete
  2. Lovely post. I was amazed that your husband was reluctant to get Marjorie - R would kill for a sit on lawnmower! I love the swallow rescue story and your quiche and tomato focaccia look delicious - yes please to the recipe! The little blue tit at twilight is gorgeous. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veggie Mummy for your lovely comments. D has a back condition and I don't think it would help it sitting on a sit and ride. I think he thought I was exaggerating when I said how long it took to do the back until he came out to help and funny enough by the time we'd finished and he gone into make a cup of tea Marjorie had been ordered. He was the same over a dishwasher when we remodelled a kitchen years ago didn't think we would need one until I hurt my hand and couldn't wash up. He lasted three days before a cabinet was removed and a dishwasher plumbed in. The swallows have already been very busy material collecting for their nests and something is definitely building a nest up on the chimney pot so that will need to be sorted before the the autumn. Will definitely be writing posts for the recipes especially if the rain continues I won't have anything else to write about at this rate.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  3. What a feast you prepared this weekend!
    Your lawnmower is an essential I'd day looking at all that lovely lush grass.
    Good luck with your green fingered projects. I look forward to seeing them grow as you share with us.
    Loved the story about the swallows, so glad it was a happy ending.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has certainly paid for herself that's for sure. I'm looking forward to transforming into a garden but in some ways a little overwhelmed but I'm picking an area to work on at a time to keep from just planting anything to fill it. It will definitely be a work in progress.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  4. Hi, just found your blog today and I have read it from the beginning. Your farmhouse looks beautiful and you have a huge blank canvas to work with in your garden. I have written down the recipe for the tea bread as it looks very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a beautiful house and we are very lucky to live there. It certainly is a blank canvas in someways a little overwhelming but I have lots of ideas I think it will be a work in progress for sometime. Thank you for stopping by Janice, always nice to meet someone new. I do hope you enjoy the tea bread it went down very well with colleagues at a four hour meeting last week and kept us all going. I will pop over to see what your Jan's Jabber is all about.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...