Wednesday 2 May 2018

Potato Pastry Quiche



Thank you for all your comments on my previous post and for those of you who would like it this is my potato pastry quiche. My mum taught me to make pastry many years ago.  I was never very good at making short crust pastry, I have hot little hands, and it would split and go crumbly because I would overwork it and then I would get very cross and want to throw it in the bin.  She would constantly tell me I needed to be patient and not rush at everything like a bull in a china shop and not just about  making pastry. Now I'm sure she must have found it in a recipe book or a Women's Weekly but when showing me how to make a quiche she suggested putting a floury potato in the pastry. Now I know this probably sounds like the most bizarre thing but do know something it actually worked and I have been using it ever since and no more do I get frustrated and want to throw it in the bin.   I have since tweaked it and sometimes I will use a potato, sometimes sweet potato and sometimes a combination of the two.  It produces a much more pliable pastry and rolls out like a dream and the taste is pretty amazing too in as much as you don't notice its there, it tastes just like ordinary pastry. The other thing she taught me was not to bother faffing about blind baking your pastry.  She always put the oven on with a baking sheet inside so that as the oven comes up to temperature so does the baking sheet and when you put your quiche in the oven the hot baking sheet will seal and start to cook the bottom of your pastry (no soggy bottoms here).  Now this may have been something past down to her from my grandmother who was born in the North East and didn't like to faff but,interestingly I once saw James Martin on Saturday morning kitchen tell a top chef not to faff about blind baking and to just put a baking sheet in the oven to get hot.  At the time I thought I have been doing this for years James Martin don't you be pinching my mothers tip to avoiding a soggy bottom I don't think even Mary Berry has cottoned on to that one.

You will need a deep quiche/flan dish. I have one of these deep quiche/flan tins as it lets the air circulate whilst cooking and also helps to prevent a soggy pastry.

For the pastry you will need

4oz/1115g floury potato, sweet potato or a mixture of the two
8oz/225g plain flour (can use gluten free plain flour if needed)
4oz/115g butter/margarine
pinch of salt
small egg beaten (or 1/2 a medium/large egg beaten)


Boil the potato until soft, drain and mash (but don't add any butter or milk). If you are intending to make mash for another meal you can always make a little extra but remove the mashed potato before adding milk and butter.  Once cooked the potato will keep in the fridge for a couple of days until you are ready to make your pastry

Grease your flan/quiche tin and leave to one side.



Sift the flour into a large bowl add the pinch of salt and butter and rub together until forms a breadcrumb consistency.



Once the potato has cooled stir into the flour mixture and add the beaten egg and mix until forms a soft dough.



On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough. Carefully fit into the quiche/flan tin (do not trim at this pint) and put into the fridge for at least 1 hour.


For the filling you will need

6oz/165g cheddar cheese grated
1 sliced tomato
1 onion diced
3 eggs
300mls double cream 

sweat off the diced onion in a little butter until soft. Drain on kitchen paper and leave to one side to cool.

After the pastry has rested for an hour or when you are ready to bake remove from the fridge,

Preheat the oven to 180c/350f   at the same time add a baking sheet to the oven so that it gets hot at the same time as the oven.

In a bowl mix together the grated cheese and the onion to given an even distribution of the onion and add to the pastry case. At this point  add the sliced tomato.

In a jug add the 300mls of double cream and the three eggs ad beat together and pour into the pastry case, I also like to add a little grated nutmeg over the top at this point.



Now roll the rolling pin over the pastry case and trim off the excess pastry doing it this way should prevent any shrinkage.

Place the quiche onto the hot baking tray and bake in the oven for approximately 35-40 minutes until golden brown and set but with a slight wobble.

Remove from the oven and leave in the quiche/flan tin until cooled.

So there we are a very simple spring/summer quiche to have with salad and new potato's now all we need is a bit of spring/summer  like weather to go with it.

Enjoy the rest of your week

Mx
























20 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! It was definitely spring weather yesterday, back to wild winds and rain today. I hope it is better in your part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately not Elaine it sounds like we have similar weather. Its back to blowing a hooley and persistent rain. Its sausage & mash for tea tonight. I may make a little extra potato in the hopes that by the weekend the sun will be back out and it can be quiche & salad for tea after a day in the garden but I think I may be being a little too optimistic don't you.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  2. Yummy! Wind and rain here too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe we are in May and still the weather is so autumnal the heating has been back on that's for sure.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  3. It sounds delicious. A perfect Summer meal. I've never heard of putting a potato in the pastry before but I always use the baking tray trick. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jules. No nobody at work had ever heard of putting a potato in pastry either but they have all asked for the recipe to have a go. I never used in anything other than quiche but as it still makes a short crust pastry I don't suppose there would be any reason not to try it as a pie topping, I may even give that a go. My mum had some quirky ideas but this one definitely worked and has no doubt been going on since time immemorial passed on from generation to generation. I wonder who came up with the idea of blind baking?

      Mitzi

      Delete
  4. Love the sound of that recipe. I’ve never used potatoes in pastry before. I can imagine it will taste great. No spring sunshine here either. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pastry just tastes like pastry no hint of the potato at all, obviously if you use sweet potato you get an orange tinge and a slightly sweeter taste but other than that it works as a normal short crust. As I commented above I have only ever used as a base for quiche but as it makes a short crust pastry I don't suppose it would be any different using as a pie base or topping and I may well give that ago and see.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  5. Wow, so glad I found you, I'm going to try this. I remember once when I worked in a office one of the girls bought in a pizza that has a potato base, it was lovely.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Briony. We've started a ladies that lunch group in our office. We are all terrible for eating aldesko instead of alfresco so sometimes its just nice to sit and have lunch together. One of us will bring a quiche (that would be me) another brings salad and another a desert and its all very civilised and makes a nice change even if we only get to do it once a month or once every couple of months. Never tried a pizza base with potato but you never know there is potato bread and thats basically what a pizza base is just very flat.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  6. Next to book recommendations, recipe exchanges are a favourite. Hot hands, maybe that is why my short crust pastry always sucked. Your Potato Quiche looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I run them under the cold tap now before I start and I have a marble slab too to try and prevent any mishaps. Hope you get to try and enjoy.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  7. I haven’t heard of this before, definitely one to try, sounds delicious xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this stupid weather ever sorts itself out definitely give it ago. Its so cold and wet and windy here today we're back on the sausage and mash tonight, I'm sure we're supposed to be heading towards summer not still in Autumn/winter.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  8. The perfect recipe to have on hand for the warmer summer months. If they do turn up that is!
    Thank you for sharing.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having reverted back to a winter warmer for dinner this evening the sun decided to make an appearance. Here’s hoping for a decent weekend.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  9. I've never heard of putting potato in pastry before but it certainly looks delicious. I think your meal in your last photo looks very tasty indeed and it's lovely when the weather cooperates and we're able to eat al fresco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like to eat outside but not much of that happening this week so far. I’m hoping by the weekend the sun will be with us.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  10. I will have to try your pastry. I'm another one that just made pastry for the garbage can. Never been able to make any that was edible. My mom always made really nice pastry and she past that gene on to my sister. My sister makes me a big batch of pastry for the freezer when she comes to visit, but she lives 600km away in another province so the visits are not very often!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you’ll have ago at this then Janice and then you’ll be able to surprise her when she next pays you a visit.

      Mitzi

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...