Wednesday 30 May 2018

Marmalade & Ginger Loaf



Good morning from a very wet & windy shire. Following a lovely sunny bank holiday weekend the weather has definitely taken a turn for the worse, there will be no time spent in the garden or leisurely walks with the four paws today. We're currently hunkered down watching  the rain and listening thunder overhead.   I hope wherever you are that the weather is being a little kinder to you.  I thought I would take the opportunity to catch up on writing up some of my blog posts starting with my marmalade and ginger loaf.

You will need a 2lb loaf tin greased or use a liner which you can purchase from the supermarket. 

for the loaf                                                             for the icing

115g (4oz)n butter                                                 175g (6oz) icing sugar
55g (2oz) soft light brown sugar                        6 tbsps of chilled water
2 eggs
300g (10oz) self raising flour
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
8 tbsps of orange marmalade
1 tbsp of milk



  • start off by greasing or lining your loaf tin and put to one side. 
  • preheat the oven to 170c/325f/gas mark 3
  • cream the butter and light brown sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy and then gradually add the eggs and beat together.



  • sift in the flour and ginger into the mixture and fold in
  • add the marmalade and milk and mix to a soft consistency.


  • turn into the loaf tin and level off and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until risen and firm to the touch - or a skewer comes out clean. 
  • once baked remove from the oven, leave the loaf in the tin for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack and allow to completely cool.
  • in a small bowl combine the icing sugar and water together to make a thick icing. Spread this icing evenly over the cake and leave to set.

and if you manage to wait that long then you deserve to put the kettle on, make that cuppa, pull up a chair and cut yourself a slice of marmalade & ginger loaf 


Enjoy

Mx




6 comments:

  1. Delicious! Yet another recipe of yours I'll be trying out. I will be blaming you for my increasing waist line soon. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is rather delicious Jules. The ginger gives it the flavour while the marmalade makes it very moist. Its another one that goes down well with the family as well as my co workers. They blame me for their increasing waist line too.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  2. The loaf looks divine. I can think of few things nicer than being safe inside, listening to a storm whilst having a cup of tea and a slice of cake. Save me slice won't you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s definitely Devine. I love listening to the rain and I enjoy a good storm with thunder and lightening as long as i’m on the inside. We’re quite out in the open here so I expect we would see some spectacular lightening but not had that yet since we moved here a year ago.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  3. Looks delicious, and that icing is a 'work of art'!!!!

    Lovely weather here. Hot in day, but cooling off, late afternoon. And clear skies to see the almost still Full Flower Moon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you it's a very simple icing (it has to be if I'm doing it I'd never be asked to ice a cake for a queen or even bake one) I'm not Nadia Hussain that's for sure. Our weather is still a bit lack luster this morning but it may brighten up this afternoon fingers crossed.

      Mitzi

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...