Monday 7 May 2018

Spinach & Mushroom Lasagna



Good morning here we are on a bright and sunny bank holiday here in the UK and how better to start the day but by writing a blog post before the rest of the house wakes and demands on your time are no longer your own. Thank you to those of you who visited and commented on my last post for the Sun-dried tomato focaccia, it sounds like there are a few of you who are going to give it ago and some who will be taking on a picnic this weekend. If you were one of those please share your photo's its always nice to see that sharing as party of a community really does work.I thought I'd use my peace & quiet to share with you the lasagna recipe that went with the focaccia. I'm sure to most making pasta from scratch would seem a real faff but actually it doesn't take long to make and after 30 minutes rest time is good to go. 

For the pasta you will need

350g/12oz strong plain or pasta flour
1tbsp of salt
60mls/4tbsp sunflower oil
12mls/1tbsp of chilled water
3 eggs



In a jug or small bowl add the sunflower oil and water and mix together. In a separate large mixing bowl sift the flour and salt, make a well in the centre and add the eggs followed by gradually adding the oil and water mixture.  Start and mix together until it forms clumps at which time its hands in and start to bring together until it forms a dough.  Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough for about 5 minutes. Put the dough in a plastic bag or wrap in cling film and leave to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes. 


Now I've had a pasta machine for around the last 15 years and at the time I purchased mine they were still relatively expensive that doesn't seem to be the case anymore and if you get your children or grandchildren involved in making the pasta it can be great fun.  Each of my three eldest children all left home able to make pasta from scratch, in fact one of my daughters friends thought you only bought pasta ready made in packets. This one also has an attachment so that you can make spaghetti and tagliatelle. Drying your pasta off can be more of a challenge.  I did eventually buy a drying rack but had also used a broom handle and a wooden coat hanger.  If you have a heavy based rolling pin you can use that but it will take you a little longer to get it as thin as you will need but I suppose it all helps with the bingo wings.

Whilst your dough is resting you can start and make your filling for this you will need


225g/80z fresh mushrooms (I used chestnut mushrooms but any combination of mushrooms can be used)
2 cloves of garlic crushed or 2tsps of garlic paste
1 onion finely chopped
675g/11/2 lbs of spinach I used fresh but frozen works just as well but just make sure it is thawed and well drained. 
Good pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
450g/1lb of soft full fat cheese (I used ricotta)
Salt & freshly ground black pepper

Start by adding a little butter to your frying pan and add the onion. and garlic and saute for about 3-5 minutes or until the onions are turning translucent. Add mushrooms and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Add the spinach and nutmeg and continue cooking for a further 5 minutes. Now stir in the soft cheese and season with the salt & freshly ground black pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and blended with the spinach & mushroom mixture. 


Lastly you need to make the cheese sauce for the topping for which you will need. 

50g/2oz butter
1tbsp of plain flour
1/2 pint of full fat milk warmed 
6oz cheddar cheese grated

Now I always warm my milk in the microwave before I start this prevents lumps forming when you add to the butter and flour.  In a saucepan melt the butter and then add your tablespoon of flour stir continuously with a wood spoon for about 3 minutes to give the flour a chance to cook out.  Gradually add the warmed milk stirring continuously. You may get a few lumps to begin with or it may look like a sticky mess but trust me if you use warm milk this will make all the difference and you will end up with a smooth white sauce. Remove from the heat and add the grated cheese and stir until melted and there you have it your cheese sauce. 


Now you are ready to start and assemble your lasagna.  Grease your lasagna dish with a little oil or butter or the pasta will  stick. If using dried lasagna sheets you will need to follow the directions on the packet as some you will need to cook for a few minutes and others you can use straight away. Even if the packet says that you can use straight from the packet I still dip the lasagna sheets into hot water to soften them slightly. Put a layer of lasagna at the bottom then a layer of your spinach and mushroom mixture three times in all ending with a layer of pasta.


Now poor your cheese sauce over the top and if you want to you can add a little Parmesan cheese and a little more grated nutmeg over the top. If you are preparing this in advance then you can store in the fridge once it has cooled until you are ready. Alternatively once the lasagna has cooled you can freeze it at this point. I do this if I know family are coming and I don't want to spend the whole time in the kitchen. 


If you did freeze your lasagna take it out the night before to allow to defrost in the fridge. When you are ready preheat your oven to 200/400/gas mark 6 and cook for about 35 - 40 minutes until the top is golden and brown. I use and old knitting needle to check the pasta has cooked all the way through as I never did find the skewer after we moved and its just one of those things I've never replaced. 

And there you have it Spinach & Mushroom Lasagna, I do hope you enjoy it and if you have ago please share your photo's.

In the meantime the rest of the house is starting to surface and it looks like it's going to be another scorching day (very unusual for a bank holiday) which means I can continue working in the garden today. Whatever your plans are take care and enjoy your day. 

Mx






21 comments:

  1. Oh yes, that looks delicious & thanks for sharing the recipe & method of prep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about getting a pasta maker.Do you think it's worth the work of making the pasta??? Which brand do you have?? the lasagna does look divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is an imperia which was the only one you could get at the time I bought mine. If you clean it down after every use it will last you a lifetime the basic model comes with the spaghetti and tagliatelle attachment and these days you can get additional attachments for it but as three of my children have left home now I didn’t buy those. There is definitely a difference between the taste of fresh pasta and that of the dried. I have dried spaghetti in the cupboard but always make the lasagna sheets fresh. The imperia machine was a bit pricey not sure what they cost these days but there are definitely other brands around now that kinder on the pocket.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  3. That looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. Another delicious recipe to try! Foccacia is in the oven as I type. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow hope the focaccia turned out as expected and tasted delicious Jules

      Mitzi

      Delete
    2. It did! Thank you so much Mitzi. Photographic evidence will be on the blog later. X

      Delete
    3. Lovely look forward to seeing that later x

      Delete
  5. Oh Yum! This recipe sounds delish and has my mouth watering. Last recipe of yours I tried, the scones, was a big hit. Thanks for sharing such tasty recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you so muc, it’s nice to know the things I share get tried and tested by others and in turn enjoyed just as much.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  6. Wonderful recipe; I do love a nice lasagne. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you veggie mummy. Lasagna is one of my favourites.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  7. It looks delicious. I must admit that I've never made pasta from scratch but my niece always does and tells me off for buying ready made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think its more the fact I have the machine that makes me feel I should get the most out of it. I rarely use the spaghetti attachment but have used the tagliatelle a few times. Its mainly the lasagna sheets I make and I have then made them into cannelloni and ravioli. I used it more when the older three were home. There are other types of attachments for it but I've not bought those. If I eventually pass it onto one of the kids then they can do that. Your niece if right there is a difference in the taste.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for visiting my blog and commenting.

    Oh yes, I always had to get up earlier, than the household, to have some quiet time of my own. Now that we are retired, it's not so necessary. :-)

    Oh mercy, what a delicious looking dish! I'd never be able to try to make my own pasta, but it's lovely, when you can easily do so.

    Doesn't a dish like this, look marvelous, with that gorgeous semi-crusty top????? Ohhh yes!

    A 'Nana' in the NE of the US
    "Wisps of Words" blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you so much for popping by and commenting. It’s lovely to read so many blogs and see what everybody gets up to in their own little part of the world x

      Delete
  9. Thank you for sharing your recipes. The bread sounds delicious. Who doesn't enjoy a big hunk of tasty bread and home made is just the best.
    I'm impressed with your pasta skills!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my kids were still competing swimmers and gymnasts they ate tons of the stuff and there favourite was lasagna or cannelloni and having bought a machine I just got in the routine of making it especially if I was batch cooking to put in the freezer. I'm not good at complicated breads and cakes but I can manager focaccia without too much of an issue its relatively easy and doesn't take too long.

      Mitzi

      Delete
  10. Pictorial representation for your dishes helps all to follow the dish easily. They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...