Saturday 13 July 2019

A Whiter Shade of Pale - Mirror Image Throw



Let me introduce you to my Whiter Shade of Pale Throw. Its for a friends birthday next week and she has no idea that I have made it.   Its what I call a mirror image throw as once you have completed the first 102 rows you will then begin to repeat the rows but in reverse order so that the blanket when folded in half is the same at both ends.  Clever eh. Well I thought so but then it doesn't take a lot to please me these days.  Its made using 10 balls of Stylecraft Special DK

1 grey (1099),
2 silver (1023),
2 parchment (1218)
5 white (1001)

and will cost approximately £20 or $25 to make.

I've not made a straight granny stripe blanket before.  I usually make squares as they are so much more portable and easy to take with you where ever you go but I have seen so many beautiful striped blankets that I thought no this time I will go for it and I'm so glad I did as it's turned out just perfect.

Using a size 4mm hook and silver (1023)  I made 152 chain this is enough to make a 42" wide blanket, which is big enough to fit across a single bed.

The following is in UK terms.

Starting with  the foundation row double crochet into the 2nd chain from the hook and continue to double crochet in each chain to the end.

Row 1: Chain 3 (counts as your turning stitch, this also forms your first treble of your next row) and continuing with silver make 1 treble in the same space miss the next two double crochet and make 3 treble into the next double crochet .  Continue along the foundation row by missing the next two double crochet  and working 3 treble in the next double crochet until you get to the last three double crochet miss two double crochet 2 treble into the last double crochet and turn.

Row 2: Chain 3, 3 treble into the next space between treble groups until you get to the 3 chain you made at the beginning of the previous row and treble into the 3rd of the 3 chain and turn.

Row 3: Chain 3, 1 treble in the same place, 3 treble into the next space between treble groups until you get the the end and 2 treble into 3rd of 3 chain, turn.

Row 4: Chain 3 into the next space between treble groups until you get to the 3 chain at the end of the row and 1 treble into 3rd of 3 chain, turn and break off the silver yarn.

Starting at row 5 repeat rows 3 & 4  changing colour as indicated in the chart below until you have worked all 180 rows. 

Rows

No of rows
Colour


Rows
No of rows
Colour
1-4
4
Silver 
103-104
2
Parchment
5-6
2
Grey  
105-106
2
Silver
7-10
4
Parchment 
107-108
2
Grey
11-14
4
Silver
109-110
2
Parchment
15-16
2
Grey
111-116
6
White
17-20
4
Parchment
117-118
2
Grey
21-22
2
Silver
119-120
2
Parchment
23-28
6
White 
121-122
2
Silver
29-32
4
Silver
123-126
4
Parchment
33-36
4
Parchment
127-128
2
White
37-46
10
White
129-130
2
Parchment
47-48
2
Silver
131-132
2
White
49-50
2
White
133-134
2
Silver
51-52
2
Parchment
135-144
10
White
53-54
2
White
145-148
4
Parchment
55-58
4
Parchment
149-152
4
Silver
59-60
2
Silver
153-158
6
White
61-62
2
Parchment
159-160
2
Silver
63-64
2
Grey
161-164
4
Parchment
65-70
6
White
165-166
2
Grey
71-72
2
Parchment
167-170
4
Silver
73-74
2
Grey
171-174
4
Parchment
75-76
2
Silver
175-176
2
Grey
77-78
2
Parchment
177-180
4
Silver
79-102
24
White




Row 181:  Continuing with the silver yarn, Chain 1, 1 double crochet into each treble of the previous row.

I have chosen to finish off with a simple border so that the blanket is the star attraction rather than the border but I think that is personal choice and there are lots of lovely borders out there to choose from.   

Having sewn in all the ends, of which there were many, using silver I double crocheted along each of the two sides so that it looks like the silver edges the whole throw. Once I have done this I broke off the silver yarn.

Join the grey yarn and work 2 rounds of double crochet. When it comes to the corners in the first round I  worked 2 double crochet, 2 chain and 2 double crochet. In the second round I worked three double crochet in the chain space between the 2 double crochets and this gives you a nice rounded corner. The finished throw measures approximately 42" x 74" and is big enough to cover a single bed.


Did you guess where the name of this throw came from?

For those of you of a certain age you may well remember the group Procol Harum and this was their debut single that got to number one in the UK charts in April 1967 and came from the album of the same name. 

Mx



20 comments:

  1. It's lovely and I really like the mirror image idea. Your friend will be thrilled with it. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope so. She's had a tough year after loosing her mum so I'm hoping it will make her feel a whole lot better.

      Mx

      Delete
    2. I do hope so. She's had a tough year after loosing her mum so I'm hoping it will make her feel a whole lot better.

      Mx

      Delete
  2. It's gorgeous! Your friend is sure to love it. I love the organised random stripes and the simple, neutral colour palette. We have that album. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to give them names, partly because then I remember which blanket is which. Its also a bit of fun to see who remembers the song. I still have the album somewhere packed away. I'm not good at random but I am getting better and I love the randomness of this blanket and I'm sure she will.

      Mx

      Delete
    2. I like to give them names, partly because then I remember which blanket is which. Its also a bit of fun to see who remembers the song. I still have the album somewhere packed away. I'm not good at random but I am getting better and I love the randomness of this blanket and I'm sure she will.

      Mx

      Delete
  3. It's really lovely. Gorgeous colours which will go with any colour scheme. I'm sure you're friend will feel as though she's wrapped in a great big hug. I wasn't born until the year after A Whiter Shade of Pale got to number 1 but I do know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo. They have been decorating since they moved in but haven't yet done the main sitting room so I thought neutral colours would be best. I'm hoping she'll enjoy a big hug as she's had quite a tough year. I was only a toddler but know the song from growing up and its still a favourite of mine.

      Mx

      Delete
  4. Love the blanket and now I've got that song playing in my head!!lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice. I think there are worse songs to have stuck in your head lol

      Mx

      Delete
  5. Your friend will be thrilled with her present; it's gorgeous. And yes, sadly I am old enough to remember the song! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure she will. I keep saying I'm going to teach her to crochet one of these days. It might just encourage her to have a go.

      Mx

      Delete
  6. I´m sure your friend will be delighted with your gift, always lovely to receive a personalised gift. xcx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's very effective Mitzi, a lovely blanket and such a thoughtful gift. Like others have said, I will now be playing this tune in my head. Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a lovely song to have as a brain worm better than I've got a brand new combine harvester which is normally what zings around in there at this time of the year when I start to see the big machines on the roads and in the fields.

      Mx

      Delete
  8. It looks beautiful Mitzi.(One of my favourite tunes!) Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my posts x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gina. Its definitely one of my favourites. Hope you're not too weighed down by boxes.

      Mx

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you and yes she loved it and it is already in her camper van ready for her holiday.

      Mx

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...