Sunday 1 September 2019

Autumn is coming


That's it we have said farewell to Poldark for the last time, well at least until they decide to do a remake in another 25 years or so by which time watching a young man removing his shirt in order to get the corn in may not be deemed appropriate when I'm 80 years old.  

So we may not have Ross and Demelza on our screens anymore but it is that time of year again when the Great British Bake Off has returned to our screens, does this inspire you to don your pinny and find your inner baking goddess? No me neither I am very much a basic baker cup cakes and the the cake of many guises are one thing but to make some of the creations they make on GBBO is like another world to me. For the past few years I have made it to the the cake international exhibition at the NEC Birmingham and the cakes that are on display are fabulous, made by the very young to the very old (like me). If you ever get the chance to go I would highly recommend it and of course I will be going again this year.  It is a great day out and the ticket is good value for money as it also gives you entry into the the creative craft show & simply Christmas which are full of inspiration for Christmas gifts or lots of stalls in order to top up on all your crafting essentials and this year it is on from the 1st -3rd November. Of course with September comes Strictly Come Dancing, although I can't say I recognise many of the celebrities this year, but like every other year I'm sure we'll get to know them and watch them go through their highs and lows. Autumn usually brings a few new dramas to our screens to keep us entertained and there are already one or two that look promising.

Autumn has always been my favourite time of year and with the farmer bringing in the harvest in the fields that surround our house we know it is definitely on its way.  It has already been dark when I have woken at 5 am for work but now autumn is on its way the nights will be drawing in and before we know we'll be like little moles waking up in the dark and coming home in the dark. 



It also means that for those of us that are devotees of Yarndale there are just under 3 weeks to go when Lucy and the team will be opening the doors to a weekend of yarn filled fun.  I think this will be my fifth trip to Yarndale and every year you get to see exhibitors old and new and lots of new crafty ideas.  As many of you will know each year Yarndale come up with a community project and this years Yarndale Community Project is in support of Mercy Ships. They have asked crafters across the world to make either a knitted or crocheted bear and have free patterns for a crochet bear here designed by the lovely Lucy of Attic24 and for a knitted bear here.  


I would like to introduce to you Norman and Norma so named after the song by The Divine Comedy  they are all ready to be sent off to Yarndale to add to the growing number arriving daily. They are hoping to have 500 which will be displayed during the Yarndale weekend and will then be sent to the charity who will make sure they are each gifted to a child. 




Christine Perry's sock line will also be on display at Yarndale again this year.  I have one pair completed and one pair on the needles to finish for this years sock line its such a worthwhile cause to support. Each year Christine asks that we get our knitting needles out and make a warm pair of socks that will go on to be distributed to deserving causes.  Every pair I have sent over the years has gone to a homeless charity to keep someone a little warmer over the autumn/winter months. I know its not much when there seems to be more and more young and old finding themselves homeless. You can't believe in this day and age that this is still happening. It is not just homeless charities that will receive any socks that are donated some have been distributed to care homes and women's refuges but you can find out more about Christine and her sock line here.

Well I can hear stirrings in this here house which must mean the rest of the humans are awake. Enjoy your Sunday and hope your first week in September goes well for those with children returning to school and for those making the transition to college and University, its a big old world out there with endless possibilities.

Mx

1 comment:

  1. Hello and thank you for leaving a comment on my blog! :) I've just discovered yours and was in for a lovely surprise. Reading this entry made me smile, as I also love Poldark and autumn! Unfortunately I've missed the last season and don't know when it will air again here (Spain) but I'll keep an eye out :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...