Wednesday 16 February 2022

Windswept & Interesting


Windswept and Interesting, that's how I always used to describe myself with my very curly and unruly hair.  It just so happens it is the title of Billy Connolly's autobiography too.  I have long been a fan of the Big Yin, my mother couldn't stand him as she said every other word was a swear word but he is a fabulous people watcher and story teller and makes you think and look at things with a different perspective.  His book Windswept & Interesting tells his story from is not so happy childhood, the love for his sister Flo and his disjointed relationship with his parents.  He talks about his time as a welder in the ship yards and how he turned from a folk singer with Gerry Rafferty to the comedian he became. He talks of his tours on his beloved trike to dancing naked in the snow and receiving his diagnosis of pancreatic cancer and Parkinson's disease.  Now in his 70's Billy lives with his wife Pamela Stephenson in Florida and is enjoying his children and grandchildren.  His autobiography will have you laughing and crying in equal measure and definitely worth 

        


This week  I have had some more beautiful flowers on my table, a gift for my daughter in law as set off down the motorway to meet my new grandson Theo and to see my little Freddie Bear.  

I can now show you some of the things I made for our little Theo. I had never attempted to make a quilted book before and wasn't sure whether it was beyond my skill mix but my friend and sewing guru assured me that I would be able to do it. 


As I have my love of all things dragon when I saw this book I knew it had to be the one. The book is called No one is Dragon me down by Leanne Anderson and Kaylyn Kuebler and produced by Henry Glass fabrics.

                         


         

 I love all the little encouraging sentiments of each page  It comes as a complete panel with all the sections clearly marked out and very clear instructions to follow on how to construct the book and the only additional items required is a matching thread and wadding. Best of all it is washable so will cope with any little spills. 








Of course there were the obligatory little knitted jackets from Grandma






The layette set I showed you last week 


and of course Grandma's crochet blankets




 I even had a go at a patchwork, something I hadn't done since needlework classes when I was at secondary school in Mrs Gray's needlework class and that was a very long long time ago. 




Overall I don't think my little hexi ball turned out too badly and I even found a little bell to pop inside so it jingles as you roll it along the floor.  



Last week I attended a machine embroidery class which was a birthday present from my sewing guru friend, and one of the things we were taught was how to put a name onto a bear/bunny.    It looks a lot more gruesome than it actually is 😀

It is all about the positioning in getting the name in the middle.  Thankfully we had excellent tutors who were incredibly patient and showed us a fabulous technique for making sure you as much in the middle as possible.  


I did manage to succeed in putting new little grandson's name onto a bunny and its as near as damn it in the middle and I think he looks rather fabulous with his blue ribbon which was a stocking filler present from a friend as she knows I have a bit of penchant for beautiful ribbons .  Needless to say my daughter in law loved him, my son maybe not so much but he's never been a fan of soft toys and never had them on his bed when he was a child. 



At least he could appreciate his mothers efforts when I showed him this photograph of shear concentration and with everything crossed as I sat there waiting for it to stitch out on the machine. 




It was a rather busy week for me last week, I was on annual leave from the day job but had something booked in most days including going to see Strictly The live Tour.  I had never been to see the live tour before but when I was asked by a friend if I fancied going of course I said yes.  We had a lovely evening starting with a meal at a little Italian café where  nothing was too much trouble and was a very relaxing. The chef cooked the most beautiful fish main and of course it had to topped off  with tiramisu for desert.  We both enjoyed it but neither of us can remember the name but now we know where it is I'm sure it will be somewhere we will go again.  The show was just as fabulous as we thought it would be and of course Rose and Giovani did the dance and picked up the glitter ball at the end of the evening. 

And what have you been watching on the tele box? 



I watched the first episode of Chloe when it aired but I have since then had to binge watch the rest of the series.  Although the filming was quite dark in places although that could be down to the fact I was watching on my iPad, it is definitely one to watch.  Becky Green receives a phone call from an old school friend in the early hours of the morning.  They hadn't spoken in years.  Becky then hears that her friend has taken her own life but that's not the Chloe she knew.  Becky sets out on a journey to find out what happened to her friend and to prove that she was not the sort of women to of taken her own life.  I won't give away any spoilers but would recommend a look if you're looking for something to while away a wet afternoon with your knitting. 



I also caught up on the Bay series III.  I have watched the first two series and I think it passed me by that the third series had come to our screens.  DS Jenn Townsend has moved to the bay with her two children.  Home life is bit challenging as Jenn and her children move in with her new partner and his daughter and it soon becomes apparent it's going to take a little time to blend the two families.  Jenn's first day doesn't quite go according to plan with her children starting their first day at a new school and she is about to take up her new post.  On the way to taking her children to school they are involved in a car accident when a women runs in front of a car in a desperate attempt to get to the beach where a body has been found in the water.  At first it is thought to be a suicide but the post mortem says otherwise and so Jenn is given her first case as FLO {family liaison officer] and she needs to make a good impression. 

It is always difficult when characters change but I did enjoy the third series and would definitely recommend to watch. 


It is another wet and windy day here again in the shire and I believe we are due for some stormy weather again so today I think it will be a hunker down day with my latest cross stitch project. 

Stay safe and warm everyone

Mx  




2 comments:

  1. Your baby gifts are all adorable - what a very talented Grandma you are! I just heard on the radio that The Bay has been commisioned for a 4th series. It's filmed right on my doorstep! We never tire of seeing the places on the telly saying ooo that's x and y etc. Mind you we do that with Vera after spending so much time in the North East now with Miss 27! Chloe is on my to watch list. You gave it such a good write up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I am the grandma who makes things as I am 2 hours away where as their other grandma lives close by. So pleased to hear that The Bay is going to have a 4th series. I had forgotten poor Vera I have watched the latest series now too.

      Mx

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...