Friday 19 April 2019

Let me lie - Claire Mackintosh


One year ago, Caroline Johnson chose to end her life brutally: a shocking suicide planned to match that of her husband just months before. Their daughter Anna, has struggled to come to terms with their loss ever since. 



Now with a young baby of her own, Anna misses her mother more than ever and starts to ask questions about her parents' deaths. But by digging up the past, is she putting her future in danger?




Sometimes it's safer to let things lie. 




It all started as the anniversary of her mother's death approaches when Anna receives an  Anniversary card the message  is cut from cheap paper and glued inside and simply reads....


Suicide? think again

To Anna it is like a sick joke and worse still who would do such a thing. This leads to a series of events that  makes Anna question whether her parents deaths were suicide as reported or whether they had in fact been murdered.  Anna decides to go to the police where she meets Murray a retired detective who now mans the desk as a civilian.  He listens to Anna's tragic story and decides before putting the case to his colleagues to re investigate that he would do a little digging himself first.   Told in three parts the story continues to unfold and there are many twists and turns throughout the story each linked by a common thread 'The Johnsons'. Throughout you get to know more about the lives of  Anna's parents, Anna herself and her extended family and that of Murray the retired policeman, who has his own family issues but,   who has offered to help Anna get to the truth even if it means learning things about her parents that she may not like.  

.............................



Let me lie  was one of my March reads and  is the third novel written by Claire Mackintosh and I have to say it did not disappoint.  I am always a little cautious about reading another book from a relatively new author whose work I have loved.  I always think one day they will plateau and become samey.  I loved her first book I let you go it kept me awake many a night as I just couldn't put it down and needed to know what happened next.  I see you was equally as good,  but maybe not quite as good as the first. Let me lie is told for the most part from Anna's perspective and that of Murray but then there is third unidentified character who also tells their own story and it is not until much later in the book that you get to know about them and how they are connected.  If you are looking for a good psychological thriller with lots of elements to the story then I would highly recommend you read this one.  It would be a great holiday read or a long haul flight read as you wouldn't want to put it down. It is both complex and intriguing and will definitely have you gripped as the web of lies and deceit unfold.  


Happy reading one & all

Mx

πŸ“–

10 comments:

  1. Great to hear a positive review, I was considering reading that, I definitely will now you've recommended it. I enjoyed her first one as well, a really good read. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ithim, her first one is still my favourite but this one was very good

      Mx

      Delete
  2. A good review, I may just read it soon. The bookclub read her first book which was very good. Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think her first one is still the best one but loved this one too

      Mx

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed reading I Let You Go and I will have to try and find the next two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth seeking out JaniceπŸ“šπŸ“–

      Mx

      Delete
  4. I actually borrowed this one from the library recently and really enjoyed it. It was the first one of Claire Mackintosh's that I've read (it was on the bestseller's stand), so I shall try and track down her previous 2 now. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you track the othe two down you won’t be disappointed and you don’t have to read them in any order πŸ“–πŸ“š

      Mx

      Delete
  5. I recently read this and her first one, both brilliant x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has a third novel Niki called ‘I See You ‘ also worth readingπŸ“–πŸ“š

      Mx

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...