Saturday 27 April 2019

Easter Break





Hello all, I do hope you all had a good Easter break. Having made the cake of many guises for D's birthday this must be a record for me having made  it twice within a week, this time topping off with galaxy's golden eggs and malteser bunnies as well as the odd cadbury's finger to celebrate Easter.  I have to say it doesn't matter how many times I make this cake I never get bored of it and it just seems to get better and better, but I am sure I will eventually run out of ideas as to what I can pop on the top and around the sides, but till then I will just stand back in amazement that yes little me made such a thing.  Now I know it is not in the league of many of you and especially those cakes that I see at the Cake International  at the NEC Birmingham but I will bask in my glory for the full 30 seconds of which it lasts and as of yesterday one cake had been completely consumed and there was only one slice left of this one, which I get the feeling may not be there much longer.




I think we can all agree the weather over Easter was glorious albeit a little breezy in places. I can tell you there was no stitching, no knitting and no crochet over the four day break but plenty of general tidying and digging of new beds ready for planting.

With a visit from from our little grandson and his mummy and daddy there was a fare bit of baking for an afternoon tea. . As you may remember he was born at just 26 weeks and weighing less than a bag of sugar and gave all quite a scare.  He is now 8 months old and really coming on a treat and enjoying trying new tastes and textures.

The first quiche of the year was made along with grandmothers tea breadcheese sconesplain scones  and fruit scones. I must admit it did look as though I was feeding the whole village rather than family, so much so that they were packed off home with leftovers.


Having shared my recipes for my cheese scones and plain scones I thought I would complete the set with my fruit scones. As with all scones they are quick and easy to make and taste delicious.

You will need

225g (8oz) plain white flour
4 teaspoons of baking powder
A pinch of salt
55g (2oz) butter
25g (1oz) caster sugar
75g (3oz) sultanas
1 egg beaten
100ml milk


  • Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas Mark 7. Grease a baking sheet or line with baking parchment. 
  • Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl, then add the butter and rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the caster sugar and sultanas and mix together. 
  • Add the egg and milk to form a soft dough. 
  • Turn the dough out on a floured surface and knead gently, roll out to a thickness of 2cm. 
  • Using a fluted or plain cutter cut out the scones and place on the baking sheet, leaving enough room between each one so that they can rise and expand.
  • Glaze with a little milk and bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until risen and golden brown. 
  • Transfer onto a wire rack to cool
  • Serve with clotted cream and jam of your choice sit back and enjoy




and before you know it the weekend is over everyone has returned home and the house is quiet once more. Now the only problem with making the cake of many guises is what to with the leftover chocolate fingers, apparently this should not constitute a problem and I can tell you they disappeared quite swiftly whilst I was enjoying my morning cup of tea and a chapter or two from my book.

Take care one & all

Mx





.









6 comments:

  1. Ooh your cake looks lovely and so posh with the golden eggs. Love the rabbits too, I've just taken a look at your quiche and will have a go one day soon. Thank you for sharing your recipes. Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you, it’s all gone now and can’t think of another occasion where I need to make one for a while. The quiche is lovely and light and keeps well in the fridge I do hope you get to try it soon.

      Mx

      Delete
  2. That Easter cake looks fabulous, I'm not surprised that it disappeared so quickly. Ditto for your afternoon tea. The Easter weather was lovely wasn't it, lots of gardening done here too. Sadly, we're back to wet and windy again! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes here I spent the afternoon at the garden centre on Friday bought lots of plants with the thought of spending Saturday deciding where they should go and ended up planting none of them as storm Hanna had other ideas. Not sure what today is going to bring its looking a little undecided as yet.

      Mx

      Delete
  3. A lovely cake for Easter! I've decorated cakes with those chocolate bunnies, but what a good idea to do a topping of small gold foil wrapped Easter eggs! It sounds like you had a very special time with your little grandson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely to see them and see how well he's doing we try and catch up as often as we can and they are very good at sending photographs in this digital age. I always worry that if he's not seen me for a few weeks that hew may wonder who this odd women who refers to herself as grandma is especially as he see's his other grandma most weeks. We live two hours away from them so can't just pop in for a cuppa as and when sadly, although they are probably relieved as I don't think I'd ever be away from their door. The cakes always seem to turn out so well and when I saw the golden eggs it just had to be done. They are galaxy eggs and sprayed in gold food colouring so not a wrapper to be seen. It went down very well and needless to say there is not a crumb left to be consumed.

      Mx

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...