Tuesday 16 April 2019

A Big Birthday


This weekend the bearded one turned the big 50.  

He was born on a Monday under the sign of Aries and in the year of the Rooster.

Born at a time when the average weekly wage was £32 per week and average price of a house was £4,975.



He shares his birthday with Peter Capaldi of Dr Who fame



It was the year that Lulu represented the UK and won the Eurovision Song Contest in a four-way-tie with France the Netherlands and Spain with the song Boom Bang-a-Bang 


and the year she said I  do to Maurice Gibb




It was also the year that Paul married Linda 





and John married Yoko 




The year we said goodbye  Judy Garland 



The year Marvin Gaye Heard it through the grapevine



 and James Bond was On her majesty's secret service 






so whilst he's not one for a fuss and wanted the whole affair to pass him by as quietly as possible, as the song says What's another year,  but I did feel that a milestone birthday had to be marked even if sedately.


The cake of many guises did make another appearance this time using white and milk chocolate fingers and topped with milkyway magic stars and the little white stars you can buy for decoration in the supermarkets and was the centre piece of afternoon tea.  




and come Sunday morning everything was in place for a delicious birthday breakfast with a glass of non-alcoholic fizz as we were going out later and not sure any of us could cope with alcohol that early on a Sunday morning.  



And by Monday morning we were all back to normal with just the leftovers of a perfect weekend.


Have a lovely Easter break one & all.

Mx

8 comments:

  1. Great post Mitzi! Belated birthday wishes to the Bearded One.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I think he enjoyed the weekend. I was quite surprised at just how much did happen in 1969 this was just the events that I knew of or remembered as I was only six myself but I do remember being sat in front of the tv to watch the landing on the moon and then Neil Armstrong stepping onto the surface of the moon and it was quite something at the time and I hadn't realised that Heard it through the grapevine was from that far back. I think somethings stick in time in my memory and seem like they happened within the last ten years not the last fifty.

      Mx

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday to The Bearded One! 1969 was quite a year wasn't it, and that cake looks absolutely delicious. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you veggymummy as I always say you can hide an awful lot with buttercream icing, chocolate fingers and whatever you choose to pop on top, although I have say this one did taste particularly nice. I have only included a snippet of things that when on that year otherwise my post would of turned into a novel but yes it was quite a year.

      Mx

      Delete
  3. Celebrating our daughter's 50th birthday we also had a good time thinking of what happened in 1969 re the Beatles, which was the topic for the week! The birthday cake looks wonderful and I'm sure was much enjoyed. Belated good wishes to the Bearded One.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I had made him a little booklet with all the events of the year I only put the highlights on here otherwise I'd of been writing a novel:-) he liked it which was the main thing and he had no idea an as a researcher and historian he appreciated all the effort. The Beatles certainly featured a lot in that year and that was the year the played an impromptu concert on the top of the Apple building and I think it may have been the last time they played together.

      Mx

      Delete
  4. A lovely post you've written to celebrate the Bearded One's birthday. Happy Birthday! There seems to be many 50th birthdays both this and last year. Your cake and tea things look delicious. Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank C, He's not one for a fuss but I think he enjoyed his weekend and as most of the birthday cake seems to have disappeared I am assuming he enjoyed that too.

      Mx

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...