Tuesday 30 April 2019

Still Me - JoJo Moyes


Louisa Clark knows too many things.

She knows how many miles lie between her new home in New York and her new boyfriend Sam in London.

She knows her employer is a good man and she knows his wife is keeping a secret from him.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to meet someone who's going to turn her whole life upside down.

Because Josh will remind her so much of a man she used to know that it'll hurt.

Lou won't know what to do next, but she knows that whatever she chooses is going to change everything. 


We first met Louisa Clark with her quirky clothes and close knit family in Me before you a fabulous book by this author that went onto be made into a film of the same name and thankfully for the most part kept to the original story, and if you read the book or saw the film then you'll remember how much you cried. In After You 18 months have past and Louisa is still trying to pick up the pieces of her life and seeking forgiveness from her family.  Louisa still has questions and when a stranger knocks on her door she has to make a decision whether to close the door and continue her simple, safe and ordered life or open it and let the stranger in, who knows  they may hold the answers to her questions but it could also mean she risks everything.  Still Me is the third in the trilogy of books written by JoJo Moyes that follows life's journey of Louisa Clark.  Louisa's life has moved on and we now find her in a new relationship with Sam, a paramedic who she met after having an accident and his ambulance attended the call.  Louisa has landed herself a job in New York for the next 12 months the downside to this being that she will have to leave Sam behind,  so whilst Sam remains in the UK Louisa flies off to the big apple to work for the Gopniks. Leonard Gopnik is a wealthy businessman and well known in New York. Agnes Gopnik is the much younger  second wife of Leonard and not highly regarded by the staff of the household or those within the circles of high society, she can have anything money can buy but still she is not happy.   Louisa is taken on as her assistant and soon finds that Agnes has secrets which Agnes confides and as we all know you can't unknow something one you know it.  This puts our poor Lou in some tricky situations, but as per usual Louisa remains loyal and shows a lot of tenacity whilst staying true to her unique and quirky self.   

There are some of the old characters from the previous books, such as Nathan and the Traynors and of course the Clarks.  There are also some new, Ashok the doorman and his wife Meena, the girls at the Vintage Emporium and the dashing Josh who reminds her so much of Will. Then there is Mrs De Witt the old lady across the hall and of course Dean Martin not forgetting Sam her knight in shining armour who picked her up when she was down.....

Yet again JoJo Moyes has pulled it out the bag with this one.  My colleague at the office said she thought it was so good that she could see this being made into a film as the sequel to Me Before You and I think she is probably right.  I was a little cautious about reading the third book.  The first was so utterly brilliant that I thought it would be a hard act to follow and found the second book a little disappointing in comparison when in reality I think it was setting the scene ready for the third and final story.    If you have not read the previous books I would recommend you do so before embarking on this one as you get so much of the back story.  Still Me won't have you weeping into your hanker-chief but will have you hooked from the very first page.  Its quite sad that this is the last in the series of books.  As one reviewer put it  farewell Louisa it's been a blast and it certainly has.


Mx



















9 comments:

  1. This is so interesting as my opinion of the first two books were the same as yours. I absolutely loved Me Before You and wasn't going to read After You as sequels rarely live up to a great first book. I was disappointed when I did. I wasn't going to bother with Still Me but you've just changed my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to know we're on the same page with the first two, hope you think the same with the third one then Jo. I think it would be hard to beat Me before you as it was such a good book. Have just started How to fall in love again Kitty's story by Amanda Prowse and that too is the third in the series after Anna and Theo and I think we thought the same with them both very good but preferred Theo to Anna so will let you know what I think about Kitty's story.

      Mx

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this book series. Later this year I'll be reading 'Me Before You' with the book-club. I'll use this as one of my questions - 'will you be reading the others in the series?' I've a feeling some may just watch the DVD and not read the book, this often happens when a book is made into a film. I suppose we are reading books that we wouldn't normally have chosen and therefore may be tempted to skip it. Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember my son having Educating Rita to read for English. It is one of my favourite films although a little dated now but is also one of my favourite books and he thought he could just watch the film. Oh no I said remember what happened when you thought you could just watch the film version of To kill a mocking bird’ when there was a lot more in the book including characters that were never mentioned in the films. When he got Wutgering Heights he went straight to the book never mentioning the film which is also one I have but stops around chapter 17 😊📚📖

      Mx

      Delete
    2. Educating Rita is my favourite film ever. I've watched it many times over.

      Delete
    3. I still like to read it every now & then

      Delete
  3. I saw the film of the first one and loved it, but never got round to reading the book. Maybe I'll have a hunt at the library. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm. ... I felt very let down by the trajectory of Louisa's life. There was a build up in Me Before You that led me to look forward to reading that she had indeed taken advantage of her inheritance from Will and his desire that she try new things and blossom. I could see her becoming an advocate for quads and possibly working at the resort in California that catered to their needs. And traveling - maybe being a travel writer. Instead she lives, to me, an uninteresting life. Sure, she goes to NYC but becoming a personal assistant. No. A big disappointment to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today I hope you enjoyed your cuppa and may be a biscuit or slice of cake too. Please leave a comment, I do read every single one and will reply to you all as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...